Banda beaches

I initially started writing about banda music as part of a different post, but realized it was getting kind of long for just a footnote. So! Banda music is getting it’s own post!

When I first arrived in Mexico eight short months ago, I had never consciously heard this abrasive and up-in-your-face music before. Once here though, I encountered it all around me, in all aspects of dat mexican life. I have mentioned before in other posts how it plays on the bus….However, I also hear it blasting out of car radios at all hours, in clubs, in restaurants, and rolling out of tranquil looking homes. Not to mention if you go to a Mexican house party, it is very very likely they will put on banda music at one point in the night. It’s a type of music that’s usually associated with the ranch people–cowboys, aggies, and people in more rural areas. I guess kind of like country music? Although a Mexican friend once explained it to me by comparing it to bad American top-40: something you are fiercely proud of, something you are very vocal about hating, or a guilty pleasure.

At first, I didn’t get it —all of it just sounded the same, there was a lot of obnoxious brass, and dude…everyone was just playing it waaaay too much and waaay to loud. I used to make fun of it. I didn’t like it at all!  But recently…I have come to a strange (and slightly terrifying) realization. I have been craving it. When I need a bit of a pick me up but don’t want to break out into something too dancy it’s perfect! It’s so fun. When I am cleaning my room, when I am cooking, when I am doing my homework. Also it just feels so mexican like “Yeah, I’m participating in the culture” (okay Saki that’s kind of weird. Although it is something that is so distinctly Mexican. I don’t think it really exists in other latin american countries). Not to mention I am able to recognize, and sometimes even sing along to, different songs! Which is a small SPANISH LANGUAGE WIN.

There is a dance that goes a long with this style of music too, and really popular bars that only play banda music! Seeing banda bands play live is especially fun because there are usually like 10 people playing different instruments on the stage and its just high tempo high energy.

Now, maybe you are just dying to hear what this music sounds like? So I present to you, my favourite banda song 😀 Enjoyyyyyy!!!!