Biography

Page

My name is Zachary, and I am a 4th year student majoring in Anthropology currently living on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Musqueam, Squamish, and Tseil-Waututh peoples, currently known as Vancouver.

I have a broad range of academic interests which in the past have included:

• Understandings of Identity and Kinship in Trans communities
  • Digital Space as Ungovernable Territory
  • The impacts of Volunteerism
  • Traditional Ecological Knowledge
  • The Role of Oral History in Canadian Law

While most of my research during my undergraduate degree has been theoretical, I have experience conducting interviews and organizing data in a community based research context as part of a Go Global seminar to Tanzania.

Currently, I am exploring the ways the film can be used in an Ethnographic context. I should have my first short film (ever) prepared by the end of June which will be part of a future blog post. I will be updating this portion of the blog regularly as a Project Log, which will move through my experiences with ethnographic film making

My academic and professional aspirations have shifted significantly over the years. I am now focused on the ways Anthropology and Law intersect, and my academic goals reflect that interest. Professionally, my aim is to work in the non-profit sector, although in what capacity I am currently uncertain.

For the last three years I have worked as an editor for The Ethnograph, which is the UBC student led anthropology journal. In my capacity as an editor I have honed many of the writing skills necessary for this Technical Writing course.

I have benefited greatly from volunteering experiences I undertook overseas. Although these projects varied in their successes and failures, they gave me a great deal of insight about how to approach future research projects and helped me explore the ethical implications of engaging in that kind of work.