Home

dscf0457

Where is home? That, is a question I’ve found myself asking a lot these past few years as I’ve moved from place to place. And it is a question that I once again find myself trying to answer.

Ever since I moved away from my “home” of Strathroy, Ontario, Canada to attend university at UBC in Vancouver, the concept of “home” has been fluid to me. And that’s not to say where I come from is no longer home to me — because it is — but rather, it’s to say that I no longer have just one home.

Over the years, I’ve learned that home is so much more than a physical space. Home, to me, is a state of mind. It is a feeling of safety, of warmth, and of peace. It is a feeling of belonging and comfort. It is knowing that you are where you belong, however temporary that may be. It is a feeling unlike any other, and right now, I’m feeling more at home than I have in a long time.

After living in Cape Town for nearly 4 months, I can finally say that I feel at home. My walks through this place carry with them more purpose and confidence, even on a simple stroll to the grocery store. I know where to go and where not to go. I know what is safe and what is risky. It’s all become second-nature to me, and I love it.

Home is also the people I’m with. Because when you’re with the right people, those feelings of safety, and peace, and belonging, and comfort — they exist there too. The people I’ve met here in Cape Town are now a part of my home. No matter where we may roam, as long as they’re with me, I know that things will end up okay. And when the time comes for us to return to where we came from, I know I’ll have a home wherever they may be.

So, where is home? Home can be anything. With anyone. Anywhere.

Home is Strathroy. Home is Vancouver. Home is Cape Town. Home is with my family. Home is with my friends. Home is feeling safe. Home is knowing that I belong. And there’s nothing else like it — to feel at home.