Summary

Posted by: | March 31, 2009 | Comments Off on Summary

Not having taken a film course before, I didn’t know what to expect. I don’t know much about film theory nor do I have a technical background. That being said, I usually always watch films for entertainment. I think watching them in a classroom context definitely forced me to think deeper about the films. I began to recognize that even if I didn’t like a film I should try to understand its message or meaning. This was not always easy, however, the Thursday discussions greatly helped. I also found that many of the articles tended to express what I was trying to say (although much more concisely and eloquently), or for the most part the had the tendency to shed light on some aspects of the film I had not considered.
It was also interesting to learn how film can be used to look at a representation of a place, idea, etc. from different perspectives.
I personally enjoyed a number of the films, (Los Olvidads, El callejón de los milagros, Touch of Evil, The Wild Bunch, Thee amigos, and Traffic). I felt let down by Batalla en el cielo and Que Viva Mexico, however I think that’s because of my lack of understanding of the films, and I wasn’t able to gain much from the articles and discussions. I think they’re worth rewatching, though, because I’m sure they have something good to say.
I still have to put some thought into the themes and discussions we had in the class… I’m having trouble picking two movies for the paper.

Comments

Name (required)

Email (required)

Website

Speak your mind