#Twitter and Librarian Community Building

Busy week = quick blog post, but I was so inspired by a recent class discussion about how social media platforms can be used by library professionals to provide support for each other that I wanted to jot something down. After this discussion, and a visit by a Hootsuite Social Media Coach who shared the importance of using smart hashtags to get increased benefits out of your use of Twitter, I looked up popular hashtags that librarians use to share their experiences and communicate with each other on Twitter. I’ve put a lot of thought into the ways that library professionals can use hashtags to connect with the public, so this was a really interesting new way of thinking.

Dive Into the World of Library Hashtags, a Techsoup blog post by Ginny Miles, identifies the most frequently used of these hashtags, including #librarylife, #satudaylibrarian, #librarianproblems, #lovemylibrary, and #inaljchat. I’ll share some of my favourites from the bunch soon and comment on their connections with theory, but I recommend that anyone who is interested should check them out. Very relatable – especially #inaljchat! (In related news, does anybody want to give me a summer job?)

3 Comments

Filed under twitter

3 Responses to #Twitter and Librarian Community Building

1. dean

I hope the forthcoming discussion on #altmetrics also inspires!

Will you pursue any of the above in your final project for #libr559M?

Dean

2. Leah

Thanks! I’m definitely going to make a note of all of these hashtags.