Mikey’s spring salad with asparagus and halloumi recipe

It’s that time of year again – asparagus time! When my friend Mikey, visiting from England, saw asparagus on sale for 99¢ a pound, he ran out and bought us a pound of halloumi cheese so that we could make asparagus and halloumi salad. Halloumi turns out to be a type of cheese that doesn’t have a meltdown when you fry or grill it.

His recipe was back in England so he cobbled up a recipe of sorts from the internet. We made it last week and it was delicious. This week he sent us HIS recipe plus a photo, somewhat different, but I suspect just as delicious!

halloumi & asparagus salad

Mikey’s version of halloumi & asparagus salad

Ingredients
•  1 lb. asparagus, ends snapped off, and cut into pieces (Mikey leaves his whole)
•  1 cup green beans, sliced (Mikey uses zuchinni or ‘courgettes’ as they say in England, cuts them lengthwise and grills them in oil)
•  2 cups greens – I used a green spring mix that contained some purplish lettuce that nicely accented the greens and cherry tomato reds (Mikey uses ‘rocket’, also known as arugula)
•  16 cherry tomatoes, halved (Mikey brushes them with oil and roasts them in the oven for 50 minutes)
•  halloumi, cut into slices about 1/2 inch thick.

My vinaigrette dressing Mikey’s basil oil:
3 tbsp balsamic wine vinegar
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
add salt & pepper to taste
75ml olive oil
1 garlic clove, chopped
25g basil leaves
pinch of salt and ground pepper

Method

Bring a saucepan of water to the boil and cook asparagus for 2-4 minutes (until just cooked). Ditto the green beans, for 3-5 minutes until just cooked. (Mikey uses zuchinni and grills it in oil)

boil asparagus for two to four minutes

boil asparagus for two to four minutes

Place mixed greens (or rocket) in a bowl, then layer with green beans (or zuchinni), cherry tomatoes and asparagus

layer greens, green beans, cherry tomatoes and asparagus

Mix the vinaigrette  (or Mikey’s basil oil)

frying halloumi cheese

frying halloumi cheese

Heat a nonstick pan and fry halloumi until golden on both sides (or grill). Transfer the hot halloumi straight to the salad. Drizzle with vinaigrette (or basil oil) and serve. I topped with fresh chives.

This entry was posted in European, Food around the world and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.