mysterious powders revealed

Earlier in the week, while doing a ‘art set-up’ in the basement, I opened a torn brown paper bag with what I thought was acrylics in it. Instead I found about 20 white jars and several bags of spices. I threw out the spices, and shook the white jars; they were very light, I suspected dried-up acrylic. But no. Powder mostly, like powder paint, and water-soluble like gouache. Later I went down with my glasses on and looked at the labels. They are all by Kokali, and labeled starter kit, silver, bronze, etc. One is labeled ‘coagulant’. I have absolutely no memory of buying these, no idea of what they are used for. Later I found some more of the mysterious Kokali stuff, these labeled ‘soda ash’ and ‘blue luster’.

On Saturday I went to Opus and the girl at the counter told me that ‘soda ash’ is used for fabric dying, so I carried on to Maiwa where they concurred. I must have bought the whole bag at a garage sale or something, quite a haul from the sound of it, and “now I can start a whole new hobby”, the saleswoman says and laughs at my look of dismay.

“I try and spend at least 15 minutes a day weaving,” she says helpfully. I guess we’re all trying to do what ever we can to keep some creativity in our life…

This entry was posted in Creative Process. Bookmark the permalink.