painting of tiger lilies that would also be a stringed instrument

May 11: one-a-day creative project. At the Grad Art Exhibition opening at Emily Carr Art School I saw some painted & folded canvas pieces that reminded me of some of my older work that is not yet realized.

sketch of folded art piece of tiger lily

This sketch goes back about 15 years. At the time I was thinking of making some combination of musical instruments/paintings, and this one would be a stringed instrument. Since this painting was to be of tiger lilies, I planned on using dried tiger lily stalks as the vertical supports, and collected a bunch. They have since turned to dust, but I think bamboo could be a suitable substitute. A week ago I did a rather awful sketch of a canvas piece, which in one version would have stitched seams to hold the bamboo, each segment braced at the back with a cross-brace, and in the other version the bamboo would be exposed and somehow tied in place: with grommets? by raffia?

mixed media painting of tiger lilies

mixed media painting of tiger lilies

Back then I explored the subject of tiger lilies quite extensively, and did many large drawings and one painting. This is the painting; it is acrylic and collage on masonite, 26″ x 48″.

This entry was posted in Creative Process and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.