creating an artwork inspired by fossil hunting

One of the artists at the Emily Carr Grad Show had work featuring layers of torn/cut paper and this twigged me to some old work of mine that was inspired by the experience of hunting for fossils.

fossil artwork of handmade paper

fossil artwork of handmade paper

I spent quite a while trying to locate the photo album where I had some photos of an artwork on this subject that didn’t quite cut it (left), and even more time trying to find the actual fossils themselves, all of which I then had to scan. Another block of time was spent looking over my old sketchbooks to locate the piece I was thinking of. Yesterday I was a bit depressed about seeing all my old work, and dismayed at all the years lost to various health problems. But today I am finding that going through my old work and blogging about it is a good way organize my thoughts and gather all the pieces I need in one spot. I have also seen that a lot of my old work is just as pathetic as the stuff I have done recently, and trying out something new and failing is a basic part of the creative process.

The fossils were in a wall of shale, and each piece that was pulled out contained some sort of fossil imprinted on it. Initially I imagined a cabinet with series of narrow specimen-type drawers that could be pulled out, each revealing a painting of a fossil. Since my woodworking skills are non-existent I changed it to a piece of foam covered with paper and the fossil paintings slotted in. The final artwork of this didn’t really convey what I wanted, and I had added a pinkish ‘granite’ skirt to the piece that actually looked a bit silly.

May 15 (one-a-day project)

This entry was posted in Creative Process and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.