During the Week: Mixing it up on my own

Working on my own after my Mixed-Media Class I tried using some ‘Patching Plaster’ that was lying around for my acrylic/spackle mix. That mix turned out to be a little too runny, not much thicker than gesso, but okay for a base coat. (LATER: Runny mix turned out to be a problem for several students; Jeanne suggested using gel for a thicker mix.)

Then I needed to get some fine grain sand, and because I’m running through money like you wouldn’t believe, was forced to stop at Safeway just because they have a bank machine there. Ended up buying almost a hundred dollars worth of bloody groceries although I did manage to purchase some paper towel for glazing – 2 rolls for $2. Food vs. art? Hmmm…

Jeanne had recommended pet/aquarium stores for pebbles, sand, etc but the nearest shop didn’t carry anything but fish food so I drove to a store near McDonald and Broadway. They had the fine sand but only a 10lb bag that was $19 with tax. Ouch… Again the thought: Food vs. art?

painting of stone using multiple textures

LATER: In the class one of the students made up a sheet of samples of each type of spackle mix. I thought what a great way to keep track and decided to incorporate the various things I’m learning into studies of rocks. The top rock is plain spackle (the whitish sections) and a sand/spackle mix (the gray). The bottom rock is sand/spackle mix (the rust) and very thick spackle with ex-sequin stencil pressed in (whitish bits). The originals of these rocks as photographs/concepts: https://blogs.ubc.ca/albatz /2011/05/13/expanding-on-my-studies-of-rocks/

This entry was posted in Creative Process and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.