fall menu from the Burgundy region of France

From my UBC ‘Cooking with Wine’ class: the menu for a seasonal fall feast, featuring specialities from the Burgundy region of France.

• To start, raw trout marinated in lime juice, olive oil and chopped dill, topped with caramelized onions and pink peppercorns. This is a very delicate dish and beautiful to look at; however, I think I prefer the more robust ceviche from South America…

cured trout

• the soup was cream of butternut squash, topped with a drizzle of cream and a sprig of tarragon.

Squash Soup

Squash Soup

• the appetizer and soup were served with a white wine from Burgundy. The labels on ‘Old World’  bottles of wine tend to list the region (Vin de Bourgogne), as opposed to ‘New World’ labels that list the varietal. In France they just assume that if you know the region, you will know the wine. In my class I found out that in the case of Burgundy, the white wine will be a Chardonnay, and the red a Pinot Noir.

the white wine for the fish and soup...

• The main course was rabbit stew, kale/potato puré, and white beans with roasted tomatoes…Burgundy-style Main Course

• The stew, Rabbit ‘à la bourguignonne’, contains red onion, green and red pepper, celery, a chili pepper, pearl onions and to make it authentic ‘Burgundy-style’ the following ingredients: 1/2 cup Dijon mustard, 1/4 cup Cognac, and a bottle (or two) of Burgundy red (Pinot Noir).Rabbit Stew

• and of course, the wine that accompanied the main course was a red Vin de Bourgogne!

the Burgundy Wine to accompany the main course

• There were also two desserts: 1) pears poached in Pinot Noir, which I loved and 2) pumpkin chestnut flamusse, which I didn’t really like; it’s not very photogenic either so I didn’t include it. Salut!pears poached in wine

This entry was posted in Food around the world and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.