April’s Craft Beer Thursday at the BC Liquor Store

The first Thursday of every month is Craft Beer Thursday at the BC Liquor Store at 39th and Cambie. Here is their April selection:Craft Beer Thursday Selection for April 2014

The beers are arrayed in the order you should drink them, starting with the right hand beer, a Farmhand Saison by Driftwood Brewing in Victoria. This was probably my favourite, a Belgian-style ale with a bit of black pepper added – the pepper probably inspired by those crazy Belgians who will add anything to their beer!

Next was Down Easy Pale Ale by Hoyne, also in Victoria. I found it so-so, and the same with the Mirror Pond by Deschutes Pale Ale in Oregon. Maybe I’m just not a pale ale drinker, as both of these beers rate fairly high on some of the tasting lists around.

The last two were both honey porters so we did a two-fisted tastings, as recommended by the tasting hosts. The Killer Bee Porter by DSBrewing was the best of the two porters, although I’m not a big fan of porters, and I didn’t taste much honey either. Still it rated a 2 from me, and would have rated a three if I liked porters.

St. Peter’s Honey Porter from England was all about heavy, heavy honey with a weird overtone of flowers – lavender? clover? First sniff and first sip was interesting but after that… I would have thrown it out if I didn’t have the Killer Bee handy to wash out the taste. So no stars from this one.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.