Unit 2: Reflections

Creating a LinkedIn profile was challenging, however, it was helpful to first research and write the top ten rules of LinkedIn etiquette as it provided a good base for creating my profile. I find it very difficult to describe myself or the duties I do in a positive or interesting matter. My favorite part of creating my profile was getting a professional looking photo; I enlisted the help of my son, an amateur photographer. He got bored of helping rather quickly, but it was nice to try to work together on something, however brief.

I enjoyed the beginning steps of the research proposal. My topic is one that I am very interested in as I worked in a department for many years undergoing daily stressors that contribute to burnout. The changes in my life and mental attitude since leaving that position have been drastic, and I feel that addressing the issue can help not only individuals, but help those individuals be more engaged in their jobs, providing a higher quality of work and a higher level of patient care. I really enjoyed making up my survey and am proud of the finished product; I look forward to review the responses.

(note: this peer review was on Russel’s initial proposal which has since changed) Peer reviewing Russel’s research proposal was interesting. I find Russel to be a very good writer and I enjoyed reading his proposal. I thought his idea was interesting and I felt he was very convincing in explaining why he felt there was an issue. The course obviously made an impact on him, and it is great that he wishes there was a similar option available for first-year students. I sometimes find it difficult making suggestions, but realize (as the receiver of peer reviews) how helpful it is to have those recommendations to make the document better.

From the peer review process, I have learned that I do not write things as succinctly as I wish and am trying to be more mindful of that. I am appreciative of the feedback and am so grateful to have that in order to improve upon my writing. I recently had to write a research article for another class, and I had 2 others read it over and offer suggestions prior to handing it in. I really see the importance of this process and am thankful for each review, It really highlights common areas of improvement and makes me cognizant of areas to work on. In peer reviewing, I am always very impressed by the intelligence and professionalism of my peers.

Link to peer review of my proposal: Peer review_Alicia DeGelder_by Dakota Tryhuba

Updated Research Proposal: 301_AliciaDeGelder_Research Proposal

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.