d’Excellentes Nouvelles!

by allisonf ~ January 9th, 2011. Filed under: Uncategorized.

Fantastic news: We got the place we wanted right in le centre ville on cours Jean Jacques!!! We were really beginning to doubt we got it because the girls took a while to reply to our emails and calls…but patience paid off. We also offered them double the utilities (charges supplementaires) and I really think this made a difference. We will each be paying around 230 euros each so about $3oo Canadian. We can definitely move in on January 17th, but as this is our first day of classes we are trying to see if we can move in earlier, and the girls are letting us know tomorrow about that. Also because we are on someones couch (albeit very comfy, and the girls very nice) we do not want to intrude any longer than we must.

The three girls here are all very nice. One is German, one Swiss-German, and one French. They all speak french though. The first night they made us a lovely dinner of ratatouille and couscous, we provided a wide array of desserts! It was great.

Grenoble River (20 degrees outside)

The next morning (Jan 8th) it was gorgeous and the froehn winds made it 20 degrees outside. Megan and I walked around downtown and hiked up the bastille (tons of photos on facebook). Later that night we went to un soiree des galettes. This was sorta funny because thee were about 25 galettes (all the same) made with different quantities of butter, sugar, eggs, and almonds. There was lots of alcohol (chartreuse, ricard, vin etc)…the bottle we bought (red) was from Boordeaux (2008) and was opened first as the hosts deemed ours the best quality. It was only 6 euros ($8 Canadian)!! It is really interesting, everyone drinks everyone’s alcohol. It’s a great atmosphere. We met a lot of people, and I practiced a lot of french. We also got to practice la bise (Megan hates it!!! thinks it’s not hygenic)- I don’t mind it, but prefer it if it’s a cute boy!!

Wine at the Market

Today it is Sunday and most everything is closed but some bakeries, and a few cafes in le centre ville. Not even the supermarket is open (only some are open until noon on sundays). We went to the outdoor market under the TGV (high speed train) lines and Megan bought some brie cheese, and I some fresh produce. I am going back tomorrow to get some amaing salami from this vendor (deux hommes) who gave generous samples of different meats (extra maigre), salamis, and fromage. Then he asked for a kiss at the end, after he had told us we had beautiful eyes like his girlfriend! haha. Of course, we obliged. i will be back tomorrow to buy some great local charcuterie!

Fromagerie at the market

Olives at the market beneath the TGV

Now we are back at the appartment and may trek it out to the grocery store by our hostel (the only one we know of that is open) to get some coffee beans.

A bientot!!

5 Responses to d’Excellentes Nouvelles!

1.   Shaylee

Alcohol to try: Pastis. The french love it, you mix it 50/50 with water though (as the french do), or you’ll be on your ass in no time! I wasn’t a fan of it, but maybe you will be!

2.   sage

you’re looking very european in the photo with megan:)))like my italian cousins patricia & claudia

3.   Uncle Darren

Ally your journal postings are really amusing. Hope you can keep it up! You REALLY look like you are enjoying the travels so far. I’d better go get a webcam pretty soon to go with my Skype account.

4.   allisonf

Ahh parfait!! Merci Beaucoup oncle D et ma mere.

Nous sommes tres heureuses dans Grenoble.

Shaylee: We have had much luck with wine…we bought another red from Bordeaux (2008) and it was excellent. Our room mate suggested we try a type of champagne called Clairette de Die, so that’s our next purchase.

Does pastis taste like anise?

One thing we really don’t like about Grenoble is that there are no saunas, steamrooms, or hottubs (jacuzzi here). Pas du tout! It really sucks as our backs are effed from couches and bad beds…

5.   sage

just thought i’d let you & the other frankos know that Daegan was in my feldenkrais class on wed. nite!! i was in the room & she walked in & looked just slightly familiar, she knew who i was right away(shook my hand with a lovely smile, she had to tell me her name before it dawned on me lol) didn’t get a chance to talk with her after the class as she left while i was in the washroom,,,i’ll see her next week says my instructor who told me she travels alot between van & toronto but has been coming to feldenkrais previously with another instructor named joseph,,,it also sounds like she’d like her dad to come to our class!!,,,google feldenkrais for those who are saying what is that :))))