Chapter 7: Power to the People

Chapter seven, Power to the People addressed four documents surrounding the topic of presidency, and power in Latin America specifically Argentina. The first document 7.1 “Peronists Will Head Argentine Ticket” discusses speeches made in Buenos Aires, this document had clear relations for the following documents. I found it easier to examine after reading the other three documents. In the second document, The Peronist Version of the Speech it stated that “the people, it is the women, the children, the elderly, and the workers who are here today because they have taken the future into their own hands”. That by standing behind General Peron at the helm of the Nation they will only find that justice and freedom they are looking for. This speech enforces the idea that it was thanks to him the people believed in such opportunities of freedom and moral dignity. It later touches on those who will never forgive General Peron who made the country suffer an endless night for raising three flags that should have been raised centuries ago. This is piece that shows how a great deal of importance is placed on the ideas of freedom, things people in developed nations now a days often take for granted. I believe people often do not realize the opportunities that are given for them, and what was accomplished for such opportunities to be available to the people.

The fourth document, Eva Peron’s Final Response Broadcast over the Airwaves at 8:30 p.m. on August 31, 1951 was an informative announcement were she justified her reasons for resignation. She re states the promises she has made, and how she has done everything in her power to keep those promises. In my opinion rather she completed those promises or not, the effort is what counts, this is notable when she states “I think I did everything in my power to keep my promise and pay my debt”. By publicly announcing her resignation it shows her devotion to the people of Argentina. It appears that she feels a connection to the people, therefore feeling the responsibility to publicly explain her situation, which I find to a reasonable and respectable move. It appears that she implies her support for the future, and her hope for a positive outcome, with the reference to “Evita” a women she states devoted her life to bringing the hopes of the people before the President, and “that is who she wants to be”.