Chapter 10: Speaking Truth to Power

In chapter 10 Speaking Truth to Power it brings to light the historical weakness of Latin American states, in relation to taxes, laws, territories, violence. Over history people have used these weaknesses to their advantage, by creating revolts, protests, and riots to influence government to make a decision in favor of the rebelling party. The corruption of Latin American nations is often what has lead to the unsettlement of the people residing within specific regions in the past. Document 10.2 Revolutionary Women’s’ Law discusses the struggle and fight that people have faced to only see progress has slowly begun, and that the battle for equality, and rights for woman will be long fought for. It states the various changes that they demand to be made or put into progress. Some of the most important demands were, that woman have the right to work and receive a just salary, women have the right to decided the number of children they will have and care for, women have the right to health care and education, women shall not be beat or physically mistreated. It is shocking to think that women had to fight for the right not rapped or physically mistreated in any way. The right to a life without any physically mistreatment is something people may often take for granted in developed nations such as Canada. Here I have grown up knowing that if I ever was to experience any type of abuse, I could immediately seek help and the guilty would be severely punished. I could not imagine how extremely difficult it would be to grow up in a time or place where I have to protection against such things as physical abuse. Document 10.7 The Diario de Juarez Open Letter to the Drug Cartels talks about the violence and death related to the drug cartels in Latin America, and how the people are pleading for these deaths to stop, they do not want to see anyone else injured or forced to suffer the consequences of the negative relationships between cartels and the government. Journalists covering these conflicts are constantly getting put in undesired and dangerous situations where they often lose their lives. This document states that journalists deserve safety while put in a position to cover the ongoing conflicts. This conflict between cartels and the governments has placed many people in harms way, as the ongoing battle between illegal drugs, and the government is a conflict being fought by extremely violent methods.