Chapter 2: The Slaughter House

While, reading chapter two Caudillos versus the National State, and the document The Slaughter House, I found it interesting how they discussed power, how it was given to the elites in various regions, and how they implemented their authority drastically altered the societies being controlled. The views on control for a region differ depending on the location of a person. For example, when Santa Anna’s leg was stolen by the United States, Americans viewed it as “a prize to symbolize a region that lacks the capacity to control itself ”. While, it stated that Mexicans viewed the leg display as “national tragedy and reminder of how cruel their northern neighbors are”. This shows how the region in which they grew up often influences a person’s opinion on various types of power and control. In the Americas ethnic and cultural divides were vast, as the emperor and Catholic Church were the social glue of colonial rule. The church ministered the poor and shaped ceremonial life across colonies, it appears that this lead to various uprisings and rebellions. This became visible in the document the Slaughter House by Esteban Echeverria. Composed in the 1830’s during the Christian era, it is evident that Church has great influence over the people. The document describes Argentina as a slaughterhouse, killing cattle, a representation of the people; this was preciously the fault of the church. As, people begin to rebel it appears that the power of the church is becoming weak. In my opinion it is possible that the people controlled by the state, are fed up with the harsh control implemented upon them. The statement, “ A time may come when it is forbidden to breathe fresh air, take a walk or have a conversation with a friend” is an indication of the frustration of the people. As, regulations were constructed not out of legitimacy but for the purpose of pure authority. This is apparent when the church banned the consumption of meat, under the “assumption” the devil can enter the body through it. In my opinion if the church believed their assumption was legitimate, they would not have exempted specific people from this order. In this document I found the usage of symbolism and imagery to be profound, in relation to the idea of the “bull”. The connection between power and the church was highly detectable during these times.

Read 3 comments

1. I agree it was very interesting to read the differing views of the North and South in regards to Santa Anna’s leg. The truth in those two views is so sad.
    I also found that the document was loaded with imagery and symbolism. The imagery was so intense and created a great depiction of the reality of that time. As you mention with the Bull, there is a lot of symbolism in that figure. Certainly the power and strength of the Church could be represented through the bull. That is initially what I thought to. But the more think about it, because they slaughter the bull at the end, it doesn’t make complete sense for the Bull to represent the Church.

2. I agree about the difference of the opinions of the North and the South in terms of Santa Anna’s wooden leg. Were you were born does depend on the how you perceive other people and the gains or losses or other nations.