Citizenship and Rights in the New Republic

While reading Citizenship and Rights in the New Republic, I found it astonishing the level of determination people had to make their opinions on their rights and freedoms heard. As, the Declaration of Rights of a man and Citizen did not included woman or slaves. I do agree with the statement that “freedom and equality before the law are universal values; ideals that remain valid no matter what the context”(1). People across the world will always fight for freedom and equality, I leveled it is something that many people in developed countries such as Canada may take for granted. We often don’t realize the endless amount of opportunities freedom and equality has allowed us to experience. We may view rights as universal, but the “citizens” they apply to change depending on the type of authority that rule a nation. In the first document limiting citizenship, I found it interesting how it discussed freedom for people of all colors in Latin America, while the change in freedom during those times was usually not included for people who were different then the viewed “superior” ethnicity. I believe that this is an indication of the diversity in Latin America, the combination of culture and customs. Later in the article it discusses the “danger” of Afro-Cuban religion to society, which was viewed as “witchcraft”. For the times, I do find this typical, in history there have been multiple cases for one religion, usually Christianity is favored over all others. The next document, The Fetishist Animism of Bahian Negroes, discussed the observations of people who were referred to as the “inferior race”. I find it interesting that such a great deal of effort was put in to saving the slavery regime, but eventually it was still overpowered. It is possible that because the Bahian Negroes were forced their whole lives to hide their true selves, disguises their lives. This unsettlement could of possible lead them to revolt. One of the last documents We Are Religious People, Not Atheists, was purely about the true form of Christianity; I found this view very interesting. It states, how we are all equals, in life and death. This comparison, is fascinating, it shows that no matter our “status” on earth, rich or poor, we all end up in the same place at the end of the day. Therefore, we might as well be equals in life. During colonialism, the Spaniards strictly viewed Christianity as superior to all other forms of religious practice or beliefs. The struggles faced during these times, may have been what sparked the idea of equality, thoughts of what makes Spaniards more superior then the Indigenous.