The Export Boom as Modernity

The export boom as modernity discusses Latin America, but specifically Mexico’s journey of independence, in which the new age President Porfirio Diaz ruled for thirty-four years. It shows the connection between independence and modernization, how after become their own nation, they were able to develop and import products. The region of Latin America lacked resources to build infrastructure, and economically develop the area. When railroads, and the steam engine finally reached Latin America, the region fully began to emerge. I believe that modernity was a necessary condition to fuel the desire to create a democratic society in Latin America. These democratic ideas are what sparked the drastic changes. The document, Hero of the Americas about Porfirio Diaz, presents his view on Mexico and its evolvement over time. It states that Mexico was oppressed by the Spanish for years of cruelty and greed, but turned into a strong, peaceful, and progressive nation. I do believe that Mexico is a very progressive nation, and underwent tremendous horrors in past, there are still major problems it faces today. Many people around the world, who haven grown up in developed nations, may argue that Mexico is run by cruelty and greed. Diaz, believes that by staying in office he shows no threat to democracy, no matter how long he rules if he is doing good fro his country, he should continuously be re-elected. It is true, that if the government is improving the overall statute of the country he could benefit by staying in power. Although, I do believe that a change in office can benefit a nation, as new ideas may be formulated and implemented. The document also discusses the idea that a middle class in necessary for a democracy to form. I agree with this, the middle class, most often works the hardest to reach their status. They are often willing to fight for change, and have more of an influence on society, then the lower class. The push for change from the different class systems, leads to the creation of new laws, and the changing of old ones. Diaz, states that even if a cruel regulation is implement there is a legitimist justification behind it, such as the death penalty. In my opinion, laws as strict and cruel as the death penalty can never be justified, but it necessary for a nation to understand these ideas, through experience. Almost every democratic nation once had these cruel regulations, even in Canadian history the death penalty was enforced. I believe, that once the people experience something they dislike or disagree with, it motives them to make a change.