Independence Narratives: Past and Present

While reading chapter one of the Dawson textbook; Independence Narratives, Past and Present, I found that it mainly described the conflicts between an upper class and a lower class. Over time the people, classified under such titles changed but the problems still remained. It the opening paragraph it stated that “we need to go beyond lines drawn on a map to understand boundaries”. This statement caught my attention; in history people have made assumptions that the people residing within a certain border must all share a number of commonalties. Within one border it may contain a variety of languages, culture, values, and traditions. In the case of Latin America, assumptions that each community was identical, was incorrect. Each country has its own independence narratives. I was fascinated by the slave revolt in Haiti during 1791, which transformed into a civil war, then colonial war. Resulting in the Independence of Haiti, the first republic in the Americas to ban slavery. While, modern day Haiti is one of the poorest countries in the world. I find it interesting that a country the seriously impacted the elimination of slavery, and the beginning of freedom is now ruled by absolute corruption. It is possible that once Haiti established its own form of government, it did not develop as expected. It was long after, when other nations began establishing their independent, such as Brazil in 1822. Liberalism in Latin America was expanding in popularity among rebels or rebellious groups. Equality and Freedom were often associated with liberalism, although it was focused on hierarchy, favoring the males of Spanish decent. This was the commencement of the liberal ideas that have formed our modern world. The last section of the chapter discussed Simon Bolivar, and his role in leading victorious rebel armies across the Andes. He had a dream that Latin America would stand united in strength, prosperity, freedom, and distinct from Spanish rulers. He was known for opposing slavery, and proposing distribution of land to those who fought for independence. His goals were inspirational, in my opinion if had the opportunity rule over Venezuela, the country in which his legacy lives on in would be in a completely different political situation. If his views were accurately implemented, corruption would be less present in South America specifically. Although, in 1998 the president of Venezuela, Chavez laid claim to Bolivar’s legacy his attempts to bring to those dreams to life were not successful.

Read 1 comment

1. I also found the past an ongoing conflict between upper and lower class people in latin America to be an interesting indication as to why they share such different identities and histories. To a certain extent these groups have barley mixed for as long as the colonies have existed. Many “criollos” are still largely of pure European decent. I think the common history Latin Americans share can be more easily identified among their socio-economic counterparts. For example elites in Mexico like those of Polanco may have a more common history and current reality with elites in Argentina than with Mexicans living in Ecatepec.