The Force: Volkswagen Commercial

The Force: Volkswagen Commercial

Volkswagen highlights its all-new 2012 Passat in this commercial by featuring a pint-sized Darth Vader who exerts “the Force” when discovering the Passat. I thought this commercial was pretty clever and cute. It brought back some slight nostalgia of my childhood where I once thought I had mystical powers to make things move like little Darth Vader.

Volkswagen’s commercial for the Passat is well thought out and effective in capturing the audience’s attention by carrying out branded entertainment. The clip features a cute kid and Star Wars. Volkswagen and Star Wars are two notable brands. Merging the two together, along with a cute child, makes the watching experience more relatable and interesting to watch. The background music used is also very catchy and creates an emotional and humorous atmosphere. This commercial was also played during the Superbowl garnering lots of attention. When posted online, the clip spread viral jumping from 100,00 views to 1,000,000 views in the first couple of hours. I think the commercial was effective in capturing people’s attention due to branded entertainment. This helps leverage more attention and interest and make the watching experience more personable.