EDUC 452 Inquiry III Shared Reading: Last Child in the Woods – Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder

The book I chose to share is “Last Child in the Woods – Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder” by Richard Louv. I chose it because I feel it addresses an important issue that isn’t really covered in our teacher education program and therefore suggest that other UBC teacher candidates complete some reading on this topic.

This book really interests me because my background experience in education (before diving down the French/English track) was in environment education/outdoor learning (ie. nature school, Aquavan, interpretive centres). Furthermore, I grew up and received my elementary/secondary education in a rural nature-rich environment which was in stark contrast to what I saw in my practicum in Surrey. “Last Child in the Woods” gave me a deeper understanding of possible reasons people are disconnected from nature, as well as ideas of how to connect my students to nature.

Since 2002

This blog post is a short summary of my thoughts and feelings since 2002 when I was a grade 6 student and BC teachers were in stage 2 of job action. The writing and sharing was spurred by a post on Facebook where a wife of a teacher considers going into education. Her post is met with mixed responses of “do” and “don’t”, which is something I have heard a lot as I considered going into teaching. You can read the post here: https://m.facebook.com/groups/203565789706890?view=permalink&id=746676858729111
This post is not so much focused on the history of BCTF bargaining or the current dispute, but is my personal experience and pathway because of the two.

I was in grade 5 in 2002 and I organized a student walkout at my school. Although I didn’t really understand what was going on, I knew something was wrong, and I knew for some reason my teachers “couldn’t” or “wouldn’t” write us report cards or continue with extracurricular activities. I, along with other students, were written about in the local paper as being “juvenile delinquents” and as acting for our parents. That was not the case. We were just confused, upset students caught in the dispute, as many currently are.

In 2005, when I was in grade 10 we had another strike and I enjoyed the two weeks “off” school and spent it riding my horse to visit my teachers on the picket line. Even though we missed two weeks, the teachers and administrators of my rural high school, as elsewhere in the province, made modifications to the year schedule to ensure we learnt what was required. I have continued faith in their ability to do that now, as needed, when students return to school.

I graduated high school with no major damage due to job action. Throughout my Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology I did a lot of work with youth in various settings: nature school, outdoor summer camp, GeneSkool, Vancouver Aquarium AquaVan, etc. I knew I was destined to work with children in an educational setting. However, I never thought the public school system was for me. The biggest stumbling block was that I didn’t want to be involved in the politics of the job that I had faced as a student. Many teachers told me not to go into teaching, or to go to another province. There were still a few that relentlessly suggested it though.

After I graduated university I received a job teaching English in a public francophone school in New Brunswick. I took it primarily for the opportunity to travel and to improve my French. But when I finished I was completely inspired by a plethora of passionate, loving, talented educators, and by an amazing, inclusive elementary school culture. This led me to apply to UBC’s Bachelor of Education program for the 2013-2014 school year. I still didn’t think I would ever pursue work in a BC public school though. I thought I would go elsewhere for work.

During my ten week practicum the lock out occurred and job action began, teachers voted on striking, and the strike began. I saw things from the other side, from the inside. I was upset and I was discouraged but I had finally seen the need for improved class size and composition, and for specialist teachers. I saw the struggles teachers faced in the classroom and how much time teaching actually took. I saw teachers confused, unsure to vote on a full scale strike to improve classrooms, knowing it would disrupt graduation activities for students.

I left to teach in Kenya for the month of June and I returned with a new outlook and global perspective on what it means to fight for education. My summer has now been filled with following the dispute between the BCTF and the BC Liberals. In the discouraging darkness I have found hope. The teachers have inspired me for holding their ground. They have made so many personal sacrifices in an attempt to improve the schools for our students.

I didn’t complete my BEd this year as I prioritized improving my French proficiency. As a result, next week I will be moving to Alberta to work for the Council of Ministers of Education Canada for their Official Languages programs. Despite being sad to leave BC at this point in time, I’m excited for this position and believe it will make me a better teacher. Next summer I’ll be finishing my BEd and I hope in the fall I’ll be making a difference in the BC public school system. In the meantime, I stand in support of our teachers.

Long story short: I cannot wait to return to BC and be a teacher here. I cannot wait to make a difference in the province that educated me from preschool through to university. I want to honour the teachers that are fighting for every child’s right to an education and for their future. Thank you to every educator who has been a part of my life, and a huge shout out to our BC public school teachers whom I believe are making history.

To the current students caught up in the dispute – I’m sorry it’s this way, but know you’ll be okay. The teachers are fighting for you now, and when you finally get back in the classroom they’ll still be fighting for you and you’ll learn what you need to learn. In the meantime, don’t be afraid to be loud, this is YOUR education. And, if anyone calls you a juvenile delinquent, I would say you’re actually just being an involved citizen.

Tutoring Services in Edmonton, Alberta

During the 2014-2015 school year I am available for tutoring in the Edmonton region. I am available during evenings and weekends, and can work with your child in your home or at a public space such as a library.

I am 3 courses away from obtaining my Education Degree and becoming a certified teacher. While I am studying to become an Elementary Generalist (to teach all elementary subjects) my specialization is Core French, and I have a Bachelor of Science Degree in Biology.

I have extensive experience teaching and tutoring French, ESL, Math and Science. I am able to tutor all elementary subjects, however at a high school level I tutor French and Biology. I am also available to help students of all levels with organization and study skills, both of which are crucial to academic and emotional success in school. I have experience working with students with learning difficulties and disabilities, and enjoy helping them find their strengths.

Rates begin at $20 an hour but are dependent on location/commute time, subject, age, etc. Please keep in mind that for the time I spend directly with your child, I spend an equal amount planning how to effectively tutor your unique child and how use our time together most efficiently.

Please contact me at cassandra.whelan@alumni.unbc.ca so we can discuss how I can help your child have the confidence and skills to succeed this school year!

I am also willing to discuss tutoring/nannying packages if you are also looking for a child sitter.

The Cost of Education in Kenya

In 2003 the Kenyan government introduced Free Primary Education. All over the country however, I saw children who were not attending school, but also not doing work for the family, they were just playing around the home. I asked people I knew why the children weren’t in school, and for each person I asked, the number one reason was the same: the cost is too high for the families to afford.

Despite the “Free Primary Education” movement, for most schools students still must pay to write an entrance test, they must buy a uniform, they must buy their own desk, and often still pay tuition/school fees. The combination of these costs can be staggering for one child, let alone for families with multiple children.

In Kenya there are many private schools that aim to provide affordable education, built and funded by local people or by outside charitable organizations. They are usually cheaper to attend than the government schools. Little Rock Academy was an example of this, as was another primary school I visited in Kibera. I met with the director of the school who told me how he created the school after seeing day after day so many children unable to attend school because of a lack of finances. Some of the families there were in such dire situations that one day a student with cancer was abandoned at the school, because the parents trusted in the goodwill of the school above their financial ability to treat their child.

For secondary school it is very common for students to go away to boarding school, incurring an even greater cost. Often these schools are located near their family homes. The reason they tend to go to boarding school is because they achieve higher academically there than at day schools. I couldn’t imagine going to a boarding school 30 minutes from my home and only going home 6 times a year!

These two situations of the cost and location of school allowed me to reflect on my own experiences of school, and the affordability my parents experienced. My long school bus rides don’t seem so bad either now when I think of the alternative being boarding school. But for many of the students, just having the opportunity to go to school is what counts for them.

In talking to people my age in the Kibera slum, they said it’s not the hardships they face that they necessarily want shared with the world; they’re not looking for pity or sympathy. It’s just that they want the opportunities that others get. And this can start with getting an education.

Thank you BC teachers

When job action first began this year I was so discouraged.
I can remember job action taking place since I was in grade 5. Then this year, I was teaching grade 5. It is so frustrating to have your own education disrupted, and I found it to be equally frustrating to have my teaching disrupted. My next fear is that it will next be my own children’s education being disrupted. I’ve felt hopeless that the situation could improve after this long.
However, at this point, I am so proud of our BC teachers for fighting for what is needed in terms of learning conditions for our students. I feel optimistic because of the passionate battle they are fighting for the children. The public needs to continue to join them in this. In my opinion, the sacrifices teachers are making in order to improve learning conditions are huge. I’m sure they would rather be spending the last few weeks of school with their students they have built great relationships with, rather than striking.
Thank a teacher today because I’m sure one has made a difference in your life.
Thank a teacher today for not only the work they’ve done in the past, but for the future of education they are creating.
Thank you teachers.

Out Of Mind – Global Mindedness – My introduction to Little Rock Academy

This post has taken me a long time, because I can just not put my feelings and experiences into words that do it justice. I’ve done my best, and for those of you really interested in my time here I hope to share with you stories and photos in person.

Out Of My Mind Global Mindedness

During my weekly visits to my practicum class in British Columbia they were participating in Global Read Aloud and were reading the book “Out Of My Mind”. “Out Of My Mind” is about a student named Melody who has cerebral palsy and has only just been placed in an inclusive class after having spent her education in a class for students with disabilities. In the book she begins to use a speech board to communicate. Reading this book allowed the students to realize that it is not always the norm for students with disabilities to be included within the classroom, and to think about the challenges they face, as well as modifications that can be made to make things more equal. I didn’t realize what a personal connection I would make between that book and my experience here at Little Rock Academy, but it has been very interesting to make some of those connections and share them with my practicum class via their kid blog. It has really resonated with me how I can share worldly experiences with my students and how they can make global connections through people and the internet.

My education degree is focused on French Language and Global Studies, and I thought coming to Kenya would be a wonderful way of fulfilling that global component. I have wanted to visit Africa for years. I’m not sure what originally interested me in the country, but for a long time I have been wanting to travel here. Perhaps it has been the set of wooden animals, brought back from Africa from a family friend, that have sat on my shelf since I was one year old that caught my curiousity. Or perhaps it was the Lion King movie that I would watch over and over as a child. Either way, the past few years have taken me to many other exciting locations, but it was only a matter of time before I found a reason to voyage to the continent of Africa.

Anyways, for those of you who have made it this far, I’ll get to the point! The school I am volunteering is called Little Rock Academy Inclusive Early Childhood Development Centre. It is located outside of Nairobi near the Kibera slum. People have been asking me “What are you teaching?”, but honestly, what is happening is that I am LEARNING far more than I am teaching. I can only hope I am offering them something, but each day I feel I have grown and learnt so much from their staff, students and school.

Little Rock Academy is a school for the vulnerable and disabled children from the slum of Kibera. They have approximately 360 students. There are daycare classes, but the majority of the students are in preschool or kindergarten programs. After completing kindergarten, students go on to attend primary school. However, most students with disabilities are not accepted to primary school, so they remain at Little Rock Academy for their education. At Little Rock there is a focus on being inclusive and having mixed classes.

Students at Little Rock receive a porridge in the morning and a hot meal at lunch. Throughout the week there are various assemblies. On Fridays there are school wide sports. The students receive sign language lessons and have a music block. Many of them attend therapy located at the school. There is one room dedicated to income generating activities where parents help fundraise for the school.

Each evening, Little Rock graduates come to the school library to study and have a dinner meal. Currently the school is fundraising to stock their library with course books as the students do not have their own. Right now each book is shared between 3 students. They have a global giving account set up which can be accessed from their website littlerockkenya.org. They also come on Saturday to take part in various clubs.

I spent my first three days in a class of 28 students, 22 of whom had disabilities. The disabilities included: autism, Down syndrome, cerebral palsy, intellectual disabilities, and more, The class had two wonderful teachers. The ages ranged from 3-11, and the students were grouped together primarily on a developmental level. All work was tailored to each individual student and there was a definite focus on life skills. It was a strong and successful combination of both inclusion and personalization at the same time. For me it was amazing to see the great lengths these teachers went to and the amount of work they put in, to run a classroom the way they do.

On Thursday and Friday I helped out in the daycare for 19 babies under 2 years old. To those of you who work in this line of work, way to go. I don’t think I could make it through a week! They were all incredibly cute and fun, but it was certainly exhausting!

In closing:
If I could use only one word to describe Little Rock Academy it would be: INSPIRING. This applies to the spirit and smiles of the students, teachers and other adults who work there, as well as the use of space and supplies. For example, rather than copying worksheets we write each child’s work in their book individually, and instead of buying posters we create them.

Practicum Eve

It’s “Practicum Eve”.

I feel like a windshield wiper in this relentless rain flipping back and forth between calm and excited.

I feel organized like the UBC Teacher Education calendar.

I feel like a bridge supported by the education faculty across to support by teachers at my practicum school.

I feel ready.

But “ready” is only temporary.

Before I know it I’ll be flipped upside down into chaos.

BC Student Teachers unite! #bcstuteach

Over the past few months Twitter has played a huge role in my development as an educator. Back in January I even felt as inspired as to write a blog post “Twitter – What’s in it for you?” reflecting on my positive experience. In this post, I suppose in a way I unknowingly foreshadowed something to come. I challenged other student teachers to take part in the #bcedchat on the upcoming  topic of Teacher Education. During that chat I connected with @mmehibou and @SMooreBC where we discussed our hopes for having more Student Teachers connecting on Twitter. We had the idea to begin a student teacher focused chat, and with that, @BCStuTeach was born.

We chat every Tuesday from 6-7 PST on topics pertaining to Student Teachers. Our topic during our first week was quite broad, focusing on introductions, teacher education programs, why we want to be teachers, etc. Our second week was a discussion on practicums as different education faculties were in the midst of practicum, preparing for practicum, or receiving practicum placements! You can find storify archives on our BCStuTeach blog.

Besides the Twitter chat, we have also created a Facebook page BC Student Teachers as an alternate social media location.

We would love to have more student teachers joining us for weekly chats, and connecting anytime using the #BCStuTeach hashtag. In-service teachers are always welcome as well; many of us came to Twitter in the search for additional mentors! Join us this Tuesday, March 18th at 6pm PST as we talk about and share resources!

WestCAST Recap

A bit delayed on sharing my WestCAST conference experience, but better late than never, right? What I thought was just Winnipeg’s dry cold atmosphere affecting my breathing turned out to be a nasty bug, but I’m doing a lot better and am happy to be back to school. Technology has been great for keeping me in contact and up to date with all course work, but when it comes down to it, collaborating in person is my preference. Besides, following the #BCTF2014 hashtag for the BCTF New Teachers’ Conference was no where near as inspiring as I assume attending in person would have been!
Anyways, what an interesting and diverse conference WestCAST was! Besides the eight UBC student teachers in attendance, were also three faculty members from UBC. Upon arrival on Wednesday night there was a poster session by students from various education faculties. The poster session included topics such as banned books in high schools, units of bringing farming into schools, incorporating Aboriginal perspectives, mandatory physical activity, positive future mentoring program (at the elementary level) and much more. Unfortunately us student teachers at UBC missed the deadline to submit proposals to share posters or leads sessions. I’ll definitely be leaving in the Education Students’ Association transition report a note on making timely organization for the 2015 conference so that UBC students can present. The 2015 conference is to be hosted in Saskatchewan.
One thing to note about the conference was the myriad of red-shirted volunteers from the University of Winnipeg. They were everywhere, friendly and immensely helpful. Furthermore, our hosts sure kept us entertained over the course of the conference with a huge diversity of presenters and opportunity to take part! On Wednesday night there was a stringband and Ceili band, and Irish dancers followed up by a Manitoban barn dance, where yes, we were pulled onto the dance floor! Thursday morning the Peaceful Village Drummers had us out of our seats at breakfast, clapping along. A choral group, La Vox from Gordon Bell High School (my mother’s grade 12 school!) sang their own renditions of current popular songs during lunch. On Thursday night their Education Students’ Association hosted a dinner where we were further entertained by an improv group, and then by a DJ that facilitated us dancing the night away.
Both Thursday and Friday mornings we had various EdTalks to open the days. I have to say that for me, they were hit and miss. All the speakers were powerful, eloquent speakers, but I found some of the talks to be incredibly dreary. I realize that when speaking of global issues in developing countries such as poverty and lack of health care and education, or sustainability in general, the reality can be dreary, but as a room of enthusiastic educators, in a conference with the theme “Be the change”, I would have loved some sort of closure on what we can do to address these issues. One EdTalk that I really enjoyed was that by @KevinLamoureux “Those Other Kids…”. His speech on on that “everything in education comes from a perspective” sent me into reflection, and a renewed outlook on assumptions and perspectives, and their implications. Kevin Chief, Minister of Children and Youth Opportunities, as well as an MLA in Winnipeg, also had a powerful speech on “Building Resiliency”. It was inspiring to hear of his interactions with students and on who are “role models”. As educators we need to see others that are role models, and support them in that. For example, Mr. Chief took a high school student into an elementary school with him for a in-class reading, and who were the young students most interested in? Their interest and questions were for the older student he brought in.

Sessions were led by current student teachers, and faculty from various universities. One of the sessions that really resonated with me was titled “ADHD; Disorder or Gift?” by Dean Ken McCluskey. His family’s story had me crying and laughing and questioning our perceptions of all disabilities.

Another session I enjoyed was a report on the “Longitudinal Examination of Pre-Service Teachers Perceptions of Preparedness” at the University of Lethbridge. What interested me the most though, was hearing about different teacher education programs. The variety across Canada is so great. I recommend to anyone considering a program to do their research and talk to students in the respective programs.

Dean David Mandzuk from the University of Manitoba had an interesting presentation on “Myths, Bandwagons, & Moral Panics as ‘Unwarranted Certainties’: Implications for Beginning Teachers”. As a pre-service teacher I do feel overwhelmed by the plethora of resources and ways of doing, the “do this, and whatever you do, don’t do this” warnings, etc. His presentation left me with more confidence on researching for myself whether something potentially falls into one of these categories.

A session on the use of Twitter didn’t really strike me after the presenter didn’t use Twitter herself, or really support its use in the classroom. Sure, it allowed me to think of its limitations and downfalls, but for me Twitter is a huge source of inspiration and support via my PLN.

For two other student blog posts on WestCast2014 check out:

@MmeHibou #WestCAST2014 (Adventures in Winterpeg) 

@ms_wirzba Joy in the classroom – WestCAST Reflections

I opted to spend the weekend after the conference in Winnipeg. I never thought or knew much of you before, but Winnipeg, you are awesome! The history, the culture, the winter, the people are so vibrant and alive. I felt like I was back in high school social studies, but this time the history was real, it wasn’t simply pictures and words in a textbook. Francophone culture was very prominent throughout the city, and celebrated at the Festival du Voyageur. Festival du Voyageur was to me like a combination between Carnaval du Quebec, and the Acadian Village. It was both a celebration of culture with traditional food, music, and activities, and also included a historic fort complete with interpreters. The Forks was an amazing venue where people came together to embrace winter, skating, snowshoeing, playing hockey, and even biking through the snow path alongside the frozen river trail. I spent over three hours skating the Red and Assiniboine Rivers.
On Sunday I attended the Winnipeg Jets outdoor practice. I’ll be completely honest that I’m not an engaged NHL fan, but since I drove through Winnipeg in the summer 2012, the summer after their first season of having a NHL team back, I was captured by the passion of the people for their team. So, when I went out to the outdoor practice, it wasn’t with the intention to see NHL Winnipeg Jets players, but to see NHL Winnipeg Jets fans. They did not disappoint. The temperature was well below -30 but there were over 3000 fans there. I am huge sap for excited people and this event made a mark with me. As I stood there watching the people I couldn’t help but think that they each have a unique story of what having their team back means to them. There were children in their teens that I imagine will always remember that year they got their team back. There were young children who will never know otherwise, but are sitting on the shoulders of parents who are undoubtedly happy to have a team back to share with their child. Oh, and did I mention this practice was the same day Canada took home the gold in hockey? It was just one of those days where you can’t help but feel connected as a Canadian. My visit to Winnipeg was educationally and culturally diverse and I recommend both the WestCAST conference, and the city, to anyone interested in the above!