Are you an Educational Leadership stream faculty member at UBC looking for strategies for preparing a promotion/tenure dossier? Explore the tips, resources, and example Tables of Contents available here, and my Table of Contents here: Rawn PoT Dossier ToC to share. Of course, mine is offered as one example only and is not to be considered the example. And please reach out! I’m happy to meet with you to discuss strategies on preparing these documents.
- Senator, UBC Vancouver, September 2023 to present
- Associate Head of Undergraduate Affairs, UBC Psychology Department, August 2021 to present
- Professor of Teaching, UBC Psychology Department, July 2019 to present
- UBC Provost Office Fellow in Online Learning, May 2020-April 2021
- Senior Instructor with tenure, UBC Psychology Department, July 2014 to present
- Instructor, UBC Psychology Department, July 2009 to July 2014
- Sessional Instructor, UBC Psychology Department, September 2008 to April 2009. I taught two sections of Psyc 217 quantitative research methods.
- Sessional Instructor, Kwantlen Polytechnic University Psychology Department, September 2007 to December 2007. I taught Social Psychology and Personality Psychology.
- PhD, 2009, Social/Personality Psychology with a minor in Quantitative Methods, UBC
- MA, 2005, Social/Personality Psychology, UBC
- BA (Honours), 2003, Psychology with a minor in Human Resources Management, University of Waterloo
Training and Professional Development (sustained; excludes isolated workshops)
- Weaving Relations. June-August 2023 (approximately 16 hours)
- Indigenous Initiatives Design Series. Facilitators: . April 2023. (3 x half days of sessions, approximately 3 days total) https://indigenousinitiatives.ctlt.ubc.ca/programming/design-lab-series/
- Pulling Together: A Guide for Leaders and Administrators. Authors: Sybil Harrison, Janice Simcoe, Dawn Smith, & Jennifer Stein. Summer 2022. Personal study (approximately 14 hours). https://opentextbc.ca/indigenizationleadersadministrators/. See https://blogs.ubc.ca/catherinerawn/2022/08/23/deepening-meaning-of-my-land-acknowledgement/.
- Indigenous Canada. Summer 2021. Course Instructors: Dr. Paul Gareau and Dr. Tracy Bear, Faculty of Native Studies, University of Alberta. 12-week (approximately 24 hours) Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). https://www.coursera.org/learn/indigenous-canada
- Reconciliation through Indigenous Education. October-November 2018. Course Instructor: Dr. Jan Hare. Faculty of Education, University of British Columbia. 6-week (approximately 24 hours) Massive Open Online Course (MOOC). https://www.edx.org/course/reconciliation-through-indigenous-education
- International Program for the Scholarship of Educational Leadership: UBC Certificate on Curriculum and Pedagogy in Higher Education. University of British Columbia Faculty of Education, September 2016 – April 2017.
- Summer Institute in Social Psychology. Austin, Texas, July 2007.
- Instructional Skills Facilitator Certificate. British Columbia Institute of Technology, June 18-22, 2007.
- Graduate Student Certificate in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education. UBC Centre for Teaching and Academic Growth, September 2006 – June 2007.
- Instructional Skills Workshop Certificate. UBC Centre for Teaching and Academic Growth, August 3-5, 2005.
Teaching and Related Awards
- Jane S. Halonen Teaching Excellence Award (Early Career), 2017, Society for the Teaching of Psychology (American Psychological Association, Division 2). $1500
- Killam Teaching Prize, 2015, UBC Faculty of Arts. $5000
- Robert E. Knox Master Teacher Award, 2014, UBC Psychology Department. $200
- Nominee, 2014, UBC Equity Ambassadors International Women’s Day notable and inspirational women on campus.
- Early Career Travel Award, 2013, Society for the Teaching of Psychology. $500
- Tara Nash Award for Outstanding Service, 2009, UBC Psychology Department. $500
- Killam Graduate Student Teaching Assistant Award, 2007, UBC Faculty of Arts. $1000
- Demetrios Papageorgis Teaching Assistant Award, 2007, UBC Psychology Department
Courses Taught (total number of students since 2007 up to June 2019 = 7387)
- PSYC 100, 101, 102 Introduction to Psychology (taught either as two one-term courses, or one 2-term course) (x 14; 4239 students)
- PSYC 208 Special topics (Psychology in your life: How social psychology can help you succeed) (x 6; 751 students)
- PSYC 217 Research Methods (x 20; 1569 students)
- PSYC 218 Analysis of Behavioural Data (x 7; 634 students)
- PSYC 325 Psychology of Self in Social Media (x 1; 102 students)
- PSYC 417 Special Topics (Applied Psychology of Teaching and Learning) (x 1; 10 students)
- PSYC 508 Teaching of Psychology (graduate) (x 2, 13 students)
- Social Psychology (35 students at KPU)
- Personality Psychology (35 students at KPU)
- Golding, J., Rawn, C. D., & Kern, K. (Eds.). (2019). Strategies for Teaching Large Classes Effectively in Higher Education. San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Rawn, C. D., Ives, J., & Gilley, B. (2019). Two-Stage exams increase learning and laughter on exam day in classes of any size. In J. Golding, C. D. Rawn, & K. Kern (Eds.). Strategies for Effectively Teaching Large Classes in Higher Education. San Diego, CA: Cognella Academic Publishing.
- Cozby, P. C. & Rawn, C. D. (2016). Methods in Behavioural Research, 2nd Canadian Edition. McGraw-Hill Ryerson: Toronto.
- Cozby, P. C. & Rawn, C. D. (2012). Methods in Behavioural Research, 1st Canadian Edition. McGraw-Hill Ryerson: Toronto.
Undergraduate student co-author; Graduate student co-author
- Rawn, C. D. & Fox, J. A. (2018). Understanding the work and perceptions of Teaching Focused Faculty in a changing academic landscape. Research in Higher Education, 59, 591-622. DOI: 10.1007/s11162-017-9479-6. Open access available from http://rdcu.be/wro5.
- Sandstrom, G. M. & Rawn, C. D. (2015). Embrace chattering students: They may be building community and interest in your class. Teaching of Psychology, 42, 227-233.
- Krieger, S., Allen, M., & Rawn, C. D. (2015). Are females disinclined to tinker in computer science? SIGCSE’15 Proceedings of the 46th Association for Computing Machinery, Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education, 102-107.
- Aspenlieder, E. A., & Rawn, C. D. (2014). STLHE Green Guide No 14. Teaching Graduate Students to Teach. London, Canada: Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education.
- McConnell, A., Dunn, E., Austin, S., & Rawn, C. D. (2011). Blind spots in the search for happiness: Implicit attitudes and nonverbal leakage predict affective forecasting errors. Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, 47, 628-634.
- Rawn, C. D. (2011). Psychology in your life: How social psychology can help you succeed [Class syllabus]. Office of Teaching Resources in Psychology Project Syllabus. Retrieved from http://teachpsych.org/otrp/syllabi/?category=Social
- Rawn, C. D., & Vohs, K. D. (2011). People Use Self-Control to Risk Personal Harm: An Intra-Interpersonal Dilemma. Personality and Social Psychology Review, 15, 267-289.
- Mead, N. L., Baumeister, R. F., Stillman, T. F., Rawn, C. D., & Vohs, K. D. (2011). Social exclusion causes people to spend and consume strategically in the service of affiliation. Journal of Consumer Research, 37, 902-919.
- Dar Nimrod, I.*, Rawn, C. D.*, Lehman, D. R., & Schwartz, B. (2009). The Maximization Paradox: The costs of seeking alternatives. Personality and Individual Differences, 46, 631-635. *First authorship equal and listed alphabetically.
Educational Leadership (Selected)
National and International
- Academic Leader (September 2019 – February 2020). International Faculty Development Program for Teaching Excellence, Faculty of Education, University of British Columbia. See http://international.educ.ubc.ca/international-faculty-development-program-for-teaching-excellence/
- Invited Keynote Address (28 January 2016). Teaching of Psychology Preconference at the Society for Personality and Social Psychology Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. Title: How Would You Design a Social/Personality Psychology in Social Media Course? Bringing the Self into Focus.”
- Invited Address (30 April 2015). Title: Collaborative Exams. Teaching Seminar conducted for the College of Arts and Sciences, University of Kentucky.
- Teaching Graduate Students to Teach Conference, Co-Chair with E. Aspenlieder, May 13-14, 2013, Vancouver, Canada.
- Invited Keynote Address (23 October 2011). Title: Why should any student care about my class? National Interuniversity Conference on Education, University of British Columbia delegation.
- Faculty of Arts Curriculum Committee, Chair, 2018-present.
- UBC Instructor Network, Co-Founder and leading member of the Steering Committee, 2009-present. Chair, 2015-2016; 2017-2018.
- Learning Technology User Committee, Chair, Office of the Vice-Provost and Associate Vice-President Academic Affairs; 2015/2016.
- Faculty in Residence Speaker Series, Faculty Coordinator, Department of Student Housing and Hospitality Services, 2012/2013.
- Curriculum Committee, Chair, 2014-2020. Led articulation of program outcomes and curriculum mapping. Planned curriculum renewal. Departmental COVID-19 response co-lead (March 2020-2021).
- Psyc 217 Research Methods Annual Poster Session, Founder (2010) and (Co-)Coordinator, annually 2010-2015.
- TA Development Founder, Coordinator, and Facilitator, 2008-2015.
Research Fellowships and Teaching Grants
- Enhancing PSYC 217 Research Methods for Psychology Majors, 2019-2020, UBC Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund. $20,872
- Fostering peer learning and assessment skills, 2015-2016, UBC Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund. With PI P. Graf. $120,021
- Transforming large lectures through small group active learning sessions, 2015-2016, UBC Teaching and Learning Enhancement Fund. With PI E. Dunn. $8495
- Actively engaging students in large classes, 2014-2015, University of Kentucky, College of Arts and Sciences Office of the Dean (Teaching Workshop Series). With PI W. Gervais. $3000
- The experience of tenure-track teaching faculty in Canada, 2014-2015, UBC Faculty of Arts Undergraduate Research Award. With CI J. Fox. $2000
- Disciplinary reform in undergraduate psychology research methods textbooks, 2014-2015, UBC Faculty of Arts Undergraduate Research Award. $1000
- Teaching Assistant Training Program Grant, 2014-2015, UBC Provost Office. $5160
- Creating the Introductory Psychology Sustainability database to promote sustainability in the psychology curriculum, 2013-2014, UBC Sustainability Initiative. With CI K. Hamilton. $5000
- Teaching Assistant Training Program Grant, 2013-2014, UBC Provost Office. $3920
- Teaching Assistant Training Program Grant, 2012-2013, UBC Provost Office. $4475
- Teaching Assistant Training Program Grant, 2011-2012, UBC Provost Office. $3440
- Teaching Assistant Training Program Grant, 2010-2011, UBC Provost Office. $3438
- i>clicker Loan Program, 2009-2010, UBC Faculty of Arts Equipment Fund. $500
- Teaching Assistant Training Program Grant, 2009-2010, UBC Provost Office. $1944
- Teaching Assistant Training Program Grant, 2008-2009, UBC Provost Office. $6243
- Pacific Century Graduate Fellowship, 2008-2009, from the province of British Columbia. $10000
- University Graduate Fellowship, 2008-2009, from UBC. $7000
- Canada Graduate Scholarship Doctoral Award, 2005-2008, from Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council. $105000
- Post Graduate Scholarship – A, 2003-2005, from Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council. $35000
- Rawn, C. D. (2016/2017). Adventures in being a complete novice. Blog post updated and reprinted by UBCfyi Student Services website.
- Rawn, C. D. (2016). Instructor’s Manual to Accompany Methods in Behavioural Research, 2nd Canadian Edition. Toronto, ON: McGraw-Hill Ryerson.
- Rawn, C. D. (2012). Instructor’s Manual to Accompany Methods in Behavioural Research, 1st Canadian Edition. Toronto, ON: McGraw-Hill Ryerson.
- Rawn, C. D. (17 October 2012). Is “active learning” in the classroom helping you learn or wasting time? The Ubyssey.
- Rawn, C. D. (26 September 2012). Answering the ‘what the heck to profs do all day?’ question. The Ubyssey.
- Rawn, C. D. (2010). Gender and Student Evaluations of Teaching. A report to the Standing Student Evaluations of Teaching Committee at UBC. Department of Psychology, UBC, Canada.
- Duncan, L. A., & Rawn, C. D. (2008). Teaching Assistant Handbook 2008/2009 to accompany Teaching Assistant Development Day. Department of Psychology, UBC, Canada. Revised and updated 2009, 2010.
- Rawn, C. D. (2008). Response Rates for Online Student Evaluations of Teaching. A report to the Standing Student Evaluations of Teaching Committee at UBC. Department of Psychology, UBC, Canada.
- Hakstian, A. R., Rawn, C. D., & Cuttler, C. (2008). Report to the University of British Columbia Vice President Academic and Provost on the New University Module Items and their Online Administration at the University of British Columbia. Department of Psychology, UBC, Canada.
- Association for Psychological Science
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology
- Society for Teaching and Learning in Higher Education
- Society for the Teaching of Psychology