Welcome to my web folio!

Hello! This is a web folio for a technical writing course at UBC taught by Dr. Erika Paterson.

What is PROFESSIONAL WRITING? What does PROFESSIONAL WRITING mean ...

This course has covered many types of professional writing including writing for formal reports, professional emails, and job applications. While the focus of this course has been on improving individual writing style, other skills have been taught in the process. The importance of communication among writing team members, the need to hand in assignments on time, and the balancing of workload were all skills developed in this class. I have had the pleasure of improving on these skills throughout the term and feel that I have grown in my writing.

As a 5th year student graduating next year with a major in English Literature, this course has helped me develop a new form of writing. I now have a wider range of work that I am capable of writing and producing. While English Literature emphasized my creativity and critical thinking, technical writing focused on structure and form. I can confidently say that I am now comfortable writing in either style.

Expository Writing vs. Technical Writing

On this site, you will find a collection of the work I have produced for this course. You can find each page organized down the left side. Each page will contain the specified work along with a brief introduction and summary. The files are downloaded as PDFs for your convenience.

I hope you enjoy the content on this site. If you have any questions or comments, you can find my contact information here.