Application Letter

5115 Cambie Street

Vancouver, BC V5Z 2Z6

September 17, 2019

ENGL 301: Technical Writing Class

University of British Columbia

2329 West Mall

Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear English 301 Classmates:

I am writing this letter to be part of the ENGL 301 Technical Writing Class’ professional writing team. I am very interested to be part of the professional writing team as I am looking for opportunities to develop and prepare myself for the future. As a fourth-year Psychology student, I have had many opportunities to be involved with writing and my job experiences have also offered opportunities to explore various writing types. Through my job experiences, I have also developed strong communication skills and a strong sense of responsibility. I believe that with my skills and experiences, I would be able to positively contribute to the professional writing team.

As a psychology student, I had written various research reports and research summaries. With my research papers, I had to summarise findings from published papers and use the findings to support a research question related to the unit in the class. These papers required a lot of summarising skills and required me to be able to seek connections between different papers. Furthermore, some research reports also required me to seek for research limitations and to provide feedback for future experiments.

Upon finishing my degree, I am hoping to pursue a career in the field of special needs education and I have been involved with working with children and youths. For my job, I had created presentations, written daily logs, incident reports, composed emails and proposals. Specifically, during this summer, I worked at a summer camp that required each camp leaders to lead a week of camp. This meant that I had to create activity proposals and well as day schedules so other camp leaders would know how to support my activities. Furthermore, I also worked at a special needs youth after school care, which required me to create presentations for the days that were scheduled for educational topics. I have created presentations on tips for money budgeting, hygiene, personal space and goal setting. For the presentations, I have also prepared scripts to help keep the information concise and accurate. For both my job experiences, I have had to compose many emails to various audiences, which included parents, supervisors and co-workers. Composing emails were a vital skill for my jobs as working with children or youth requires a lot of responsibility and clarity, therefore emails would be sent to co-workers and supervisors to explain the activities that I have prepared. Also, an email would be sent to parents to give them an idea of what is expected to happen for the month. In addition, I have had to write many daily logs that recorded my interaction with the children. Sometimes, incident reports will be written as well if severe situations or behaviours have occurred that requires parent attention.

Through my experiences, I have developed strong communication and organisation skills. This is because most situations would require additional attention and the situation needs to be communicated to various audiences, therefore, strong communication skills are very important. Moreover, ensuring children’s safety and being prepared is also important, hence, being organised with materials, day plans and having clear instructions are skills that have been readily practiced.

I hope to work with a collaborative team where everyone’s opinions are valued and heard as I believe that the best work comes from a team that utilizes the unique and positive parts of everyone’s ideas. With my strong communication and organisation skills as well as my experience with various types of writing, I will be a team player that communicates my ideas and helps to bring the group together.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration. I am thrilled for an opportunity to work with you so if you believe I am a good fit for your team, you may reach me at cherylchao.27@alumi.ubc.ca. I look forward to working with you.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Chao

Enclosure: 301 Cheryl Chao Application Letter

This entry was posted in Blog. Bookmark the permalink.