Mike’s Flight Plan

I grew up at the introduction of the PC, starting with the Commodore 64.  Games gave way to coding and electronics during my math/physics undergraduate.  At some point in 1998, while networking the UBC physics computer cluster to solve climate modeling problems, I felt I was pretty tech savy, maybe to the point that it was part of my identity.  Then democracy came to technology. When I look at the huge change in the ensuing 20 years, it has become difficult to assess how effectively I am using technology, mostly owing to the rapid growth of similar software options and occasional game-changers (like video conferencing, Smart phones, touch screens).  I don’t have a cellphone and it can make me feel frozen in time—drowning even.  Am I still tech savy?  Am I leveraging technology in a way that aligns with best practice?

When deciding what to pursue, I found these three quotes very useful:

“Taken together with the current study, there is the suggestion that one of technology’s main strengths may lie in supporting students’ efforts to achieve rather than acting as a tool for delivering content.”  (Tamim et al., 2011, p. 17)

“The greatest learning benefit remains reserved for those engaged in the design process, the game designers, and not those at the receiving end, the game players.”  (Kafai, 2006, p. 38)

“An effective learning community depends fundamentally on developing the social and emotional ties between its members, and on fostering interactions that support and develop its members intellectually, socially, and emotionally.”  (Khoo and Cowie, 2010, p. 48)

The main message for me, in my MET journey, is that students do best when they are engaged designers, working in trusting and healthy groups on authentic problems that introduce the culture of a particular domain.

I would like to learn more about software that facilitates group work—especially documentation of projects, roles, and communication.  I am using Google Classroom, but I want more.  Some have suggested Slack.  My motivation is based on research that indicates that learning is participatory (Jenkins, 2009), and socially negotiated (Anderson, 2008; Driver, 1994; Gee, 2007; Khoo and Cowie, 2010).

I would also like to explore resources like Code.org, but that pertain to other subject areas.  The main affordances I require are student-choice, self-paced, and rapid feedback.  This is based on three things: the observation that classrooms are becoming very diverse (Kalantzis and Cope, 2010), the belief that student work more effectively when actively constructing knowledge (Kafai, 2006; Gee, 2007; von Glasserfeld, 2008; Winn, 2003), and John Hattie’s work on effective feedback (Hattie, 2007).

Finally, I would like find out more about how to create online class repositories for work.  Things like class webpages that showcase a project, or a Khan Academy style page of student made instructional videos.  This is based in the belief that the creation of artifacts is effective motivation for students because it is authentic, and active (Brown, 1989; Kafai, 2006; Tamin et al, 2011).  It also makes reflection on learning more explicit (Anderson, 2008; Winn, 2003).

My flight path goals require physical access to the internet, laptops, and iPads, which we have.  There also may be associated costs for software licenses—I believe we have a reasonable budget.  Current provincial and board policies may present limitations (i.e. no access to the App Store on iPads, no approval for use of Google Classroom without parent consent).

References:

Anderson, T. (2008). “Towards a Theory of Online Learning.” In Anderson, T. & Elloumi, F. Theory and Practice of Online Learning. Athabasca University.

Brown, J. S., Collins, A. & Duguid, S. (1989). Situated cognition and the culture of learning. Educational Researcher, 18, 32-42.

Chickering, A. W., & Ehrmann, S. C. (1996). Implementing the seven principles: Technology as lever. AAHE bulletin, 49, 3-6.

Driver, R., Asoko, H., Leach, J., Scott, P., & Mortimer, E. (1994). Constructing scientific knowledge in the classroom. Educational researcher, 23(7), 5-12.

Gee, J. 2007. Semiotic Domains: Is playing video games a “waste of time?” In What video games have to teach us about learning and literacy (pp.17-45). New York: Palgrave and Macmillian.

Hattie, H. & Timperly, H. (2007). The power of feedback. Review of Educational Research, 77(1), 81-112.

Jenkins, H. (2009). Confronting the challenges of participatory culture: Media Education for the 21st century. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.

Kafai, Y. 2006. Playing and making games for learning: Instructionist and constructionist perspectives. Games and Culture.1(1). 36-40.

Kalantzis, M. & Cope, B. 2010. The teacher as designer: Pedagogy in the new media age. E-learning and Digital media 7(3). 200-222.

Khoo, E. & Cowie, B. (2010). A framework for developing and implementing an online learning community. Journal of Open, Flexible, and Distance Learning, 15, 47-59.

Mishra, P., & Koehler, M. (2006). Technological pedagogical content knowledge: A framework for teacher knowledge. The Teachers College Record, 108(6), 1017-1054.

Tamim, R., Bernard, R., Borokhovski, E., Abrami, P., Schmid, R. (2011).  What Forty Years of Research Says About the Impact of Technology on Learning: A Second-Order Meta-Analysis and Validation Study.  Review of Educational Research, 81(1), 4-28.

Von Glasersfeld, E. (2008). Learning as a Constructive Activity. AntiMatters, 2(3), 33-49.

Winn, W. (2003). Learning in artificial environments: Embodiment, embeddedness, and dynamic adaptation. Technology, Instruction, Cognition and Learning, 1(1), 87-114.