Sam’s Flight Path

Although I’ve spent a few years teaching abroad, I still don’t classify myself as a teacher. I stumbled upon the growing field of e-learning, and by extension educational technology through a freelance project in which I proofed a corporate e-learning course. I was immediately intrigued, started reading about instructional design, and began toying around with Articulate Storyline (course authoring software). My hope is that through the MET program, I am becoming a more competent facilitator of educational experiences with technology.

My undergrad was in the field of Public Policy, with a focus on international Development. I deviated away from the field after graduating, disenchanted by the thorny ethics inherent to the industry. With only ‘expertise’ in ‘development’, I felt that my ability to meaningfully contribute to sustainable and ethical change in the field was limited. When I became acquainted with e-learning, I was thrilled by the prospect of using technology to dramatically improve access to quality education by developing knowledge and skills with real ‘value added.’

In this course, I look forward to becoming more discerning when selecting appropriate learning technologies based on a specific need. As Maslow succinctly wrote, when all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail. Taking a step back in this course to look at the broad categories of LMS, social software, mobile technologies and multimedia tools, is a great way to remember that we don’t just have one tool in our stylish utility belt. Especially in the field of development, it is crucial to use resources effectively, rather than just gravitating to what is easy, known, or most convenient.

In order to master these skills and technology, I think practice is the most important ingredient. My work at the moment does not align with this area of study, so it will come down to my own initiative to seize and make opportunities to play with, experiment, and master new tools and ideas. Allocating some “play time” or time for exploration with tech tools and platforms discussed in the course and by my peers would be an ideal way to work towards this goal.

Drawing from the ISTE framework (2017), I see my evolving role as a Collaborator and Designer. I hope to collaborate with Subject Matter Experts, educators, clients, and students. Then, to take these findings to design (or at least facilitate the design of) meaningful learning experiences that leverage technology without using it gratuitously. That said, no design or collaboration process is complete without reflection and assessment that is inherent with the role of an Analyst. This feedback loop provides critical insight for more successful, efficient, and effective work.

As an aside, I also need to develop some stricter boundaries when it comes to working with technology. Both my freelance work and MET studies permit me to have a very flexible schedule. While this is great, I have a difficult time drawing a line to say I am “finished,” given that there is always more work waiting for me to do. Continuing on a career path with technology requires that I find this healthy balance, or will suffer accordingly.

International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE). (2017). Standards for teachers. Retrieved from https://www.iste.org/standards/for-educators

One comment

1. Hi Sam,
    I really enjoyed reading your flight path. It seems as though many of us in this program enjoy the type of “sandbox” fun we can have experimenting with new tech. I think this was a warning in the course; have fun, but stay on track! As you mention, in your career, it can be hard to pull away and make clear boundaries for when a project is “over.” I find this difficult in general being on the Internet, but I have a feeling this course will help us establish boundaries. At least, that’s one of my goals, too.

Thanks for your thoughts,
    Paige