Member of The Month: Mindy Chiang

CPSA Member: Mindy Chiang

Graduate Program: UBC Counselling Psychology MA

Year: Third

Pronouns: She/her/hers

What drew you to studying counselling psychology?

I have always been fascinated by psychology, particularly what makes people thrive. I chose to study counselling psychology because it is a mental health discipline that is not solely deficit-focused and allows for the exploration of the complexities of life.

What accomplishments are you most proud of?

I am most proud of having been able to lead a purpose-driven life. My first undergrad was in commerce and I had professional careers in finance and management before making a (rather dramatic) career pivot to study counselling. I am proud to have taken the risk to pursue what I find fulfilling and I have not looked back!

What’s a moment from your time at UBC that you think you’ll be talking about for years?

The clinical experiences I had in the program had been the most meaningful. I really appreciated the opportunities to learn to relate to clients deeply in the counselling room. There have been many therapeutic encounters through my clinic and practicum experiences that I will carry with me for years to come.

As you look ahead, what are your career goals?

As much as I enjoy clinical work I also have a love for research. For now, I  will take a few years to hone my skills as a clinician before considering a potential PhD. This will also give me time to clarify the topics I am most interested in exploring in a PhD.

Who are your therapist heroes? Who inspires you?  

Irvin Yalom is definitely one. I read almost all of his works and love his fictional accounts of therapy especially. I also find his integration of existential themes into therapy really interesting.