Today we’ll do some live-coding. Fun! Adventure! Steve making ridiculous mistakes and writing strange-looking code! 🙂
- For Wednesday, please read Section 8.1 (and the very important intro to Chapter 8) and complete the reading quiz due at noon on Wednesday.
(Note: I know this is a long-ish section. I hope you’ll find that, since we’ve already discussed reductions many times, this will be a new twist on how to use them but not brand new material. Take time over the next week or so to consolidate your understanding of this very important section!)
- No new handouts for today.
- Come to class Wednesday, but don’t forget that Friday is a holiday: no class and no office hours.
Today we’ll finish up our 2-D DP handout.
- For Monday, please read section 6.8 (the last required section in the dynamic programming chapter, although I recommend the other sections as interesting reading, particularly if you’re continuing on to CPSC 445, which uses DP heavily). No reading quiz.
- Don’t forget we have an assignment due Thursday! Keep up with the post pinned on Piazza with some (largely minor but still important) updates on the assignment.
We’ll continue our longest common subsequence problem in class today.
- Get started on the Assignment somewhat dubiously numbered “4” that is due on Thursday 10 Nov! It’s posted on this blog.
- Read Section 6.6 and complete the pre-class quiz by noon Friday.
- If you have US citizenship: vote! I did 🙂
Here are several resources:
Today we’ll work on dynamic programming in two dimensions.
- Here are the new DP in 2-D notes for today.
- For next lecture, please read section 6.5 in the textbook. (No reading quiz for Wed, however.)
- Tue/Wed tutorial students: remember the quiz this week!
- Everyone: get started on the so-far-released quiz/assignment questions.
Today we’ll continue with (and probably finish) our work on the change-making memoization/dynamic programming problem.
- Here are sample solutions for part 1 and part 2 (updated with corrections by Victoria and others; thanks!) of the notes.
- For Monday, please read Section 6.4 of Chapter 6. There will be a pre-class quiz (for which invitations have been sent by mail, as usual).
- Don’t forget to expect quizzes in next week’s tutorial.