Email to Potential Writing Team Member 3

To: ranj.dhaliwal@alumni.ubc.ca
From: chaerinyang@gmail.com
Date: September 18, 2019
Subject: ENGL301 Professional Writing Team

Hi Ranj,

I am reaching out to see if you would like to join me in creating a professional writing team for ENGL301. I have already reached out to Priyanka Patel and Tameen Imran, however I am yet to receive a reply.

I’ve browsed your blog and I thought that it would be great to work with you, since we have very similar interests and goals.

I was pleasantly surprised when I read that you are working as a project coordinate for a local construction company, and also have interest in finance and investment. I have a genuine interest in project finance and public infrastructure and wish to pursue a career in the field after graduation. I’ve had previous experience working at a bank in the project finance division, which helped me a lot to understand the general framework of the construction, maintenance, and operation of public infrastructure.

I also saw on your letter of application that you have experience working in a professional environment, handling legal contracts and different types of professional communication. I too have similar experience while working in a law firm specifically practicing in contract law for construction and projects. Similar to your experience, my primary tasks were to create formal documents, proof reading contracts, appendices, correspondence between parties involved, and such.

With our similar interests and experiences, I believe we could make a great constructive team with mutual respect, open-mindedness, and integrity.

I hope to hear back soon, and you can reach me at chaerinyang@gmail.com.

Enclosed is my Letter of Application.

Thanks a lot,
Chae Rin

Email to Potential Writing Team Member 2

To: tameen.imran@gmail.com
From: chaerinyang@gmail.com
Date: September 18, 2019

Hi Tameen,

I am writing in regards to creating a prospective professional writing team for ENGL301. I have also reached out to Priyanka Patel, but am yet to receive a reply.

It would be great if we could team up for the rest of the course, as I believe that our strengths and weaknesses are very compatible. Furthermore, I saw on your letter of application that you have experience working in a professional environment, handling contracts, addendum, and reports. I too have similar experience working in a field in which my primary tasks were to create formal documents, proof reading contracts, appendices, and such.

You have also stated that your main weakness is that you don’t have experience working with other students online. I am also in the same boat, and I think with active and direct communication, we would both learn how to utilise online platforms for effective teamwork.

I believe that we could make a great constructive team with mutual respect, open-mindedness, and integrity.

Enclosed is a copy of my Letter of Application.

Thanks a lot,

Chae Rin

Email to Potential Writing Team Member 1

To: ppatel45@alumni.ubc.ca
From: chaerinyang@gmail.com
Date: September 18, 2019

Hi Prianka,

I am writing in regards to creating a prospective professional writing team for ENGL301.

Your application letter really stood out for me – I truly respect that you have had such diverse experiences in both professional and voluntary environments. As per my letter of application, I have also worked in environments that demand professionalism and effective communication for efficiency.

I believe that we could potentially make a compatible team, helping each other out with our weaknesses while enhancing our strengths. You have stated in your letter that you tend to skip proofreading when submitting papers. I could help you work on that, as I have substantial experience regarding editing writing. I have been on the editorial team for UBC’s Economics Journal, and have edited high volumes of formal thesis papers, going through multiple rounds in order to perfect them before publishing the journal. Furthermore, I believe I could learn from your extensive experiences in communicating with various individuals and interpersonal skills, since I am less confident with interacting with different individuals.

Best regards,

Chae Rin

Email Memorandum

To: Dr. Erika Paterson, Instructor of ENGL 301
From: Chae Rin Yang, Registered student of ENGL301
Date: September 17, 2019
Subject: Letter of Application Submission

Dear Dr. Paterson,

As per your instructions, I have posted my letter of application on my blog, and also have enclosed a copy of it on this memorandum.

This letter summarises:

• My assets which I have earned through experiences in professional environments
    • Reasons why I am a suitable candidate
    • My expectations specifically regarding teamwork
    • Practical skills in formal documentation which I have acquired through various experiences

Please let me know if you require further details. You can reach me at chaerinyang@gmail.com

Best regards,

Chae Rin Yang

301 Chae Rin Yang Letter of Application

Letter of Application

Chae Rin Yang
999 Seymour Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 3M1
chaerinyang@gmail.com

September 16, 2019

ENGL301 Technical Writing
University of British Columbia
2329 West Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 1Z4

Dear ENGL301 classmates:

I am writing to enquire about the opportunity to work with you as part of a professional writing team for the duration of ENGL301. I am currently enrolled as an undergraduate student pursuing Interdisciplinary Studies, specifically focusing on Economics and Political Science. I believe that all-round nature of my multi-disciplinary degree which encompasses various academic disciplines will bring benefit to a respectable editing team for the term.

As part of the editing team for the Iona Journal of Economics at UBC, I have rigorously edited and gave feedback to formal research papers. I believe that my editing skills from this experience will strengthen our academic interests as a team.

Furthermore, I have first handedly experienced formal communication in a professional environment through interning at large corporations such as the Korean Development Bank and Rajah & Tann, one of Asia’s top law firms. There, I have drafted various types of writing including legal documents, spreadsheets, correspondence, and translated documents. These opportunities have allowed me to further consolidate practical skills for effective communication.

I believe that as a professional team, all members should show respect, consciousness, and integrity. However, I also do strongly believe that open-mindedness is essential for group work, especially with regards to collaborative feedback in order to create efficient and successful papers and documents.

Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to hearing back from you all.

Sincerely,

Chae Rin Yang

301 Chae Rin Yang Letter of Application