ENGL 200/001-004: Principles of Literary Studies (September 2024)

ENGL 200/001-004: Principles of Literary Studies

Term 1 | MWF 10:00-11:00am

Canvas Login | My Website

This was a late addition to my courses for next year, so this post is incomplete. I will be responsible for Monday and Friday meetings with a small section of roughly 30 students (my section is 002); all four sections will meet in a large classroom for lectures on Wednesdays. I have provided below information from the Department of English Language and Literatures page of Undergraduate Course Descriptions for Winter 2024; I will provide more detail and a fuller text list as soon as possible. I am contributing Bram Stoker’s novel Dracula and Jim Jarmusch’s film Only Lovers Left Alive to our course text list.

Moving Histories, Travelling Texts

How can Yaa Gyasi’s Homegoing, the story of two Ghanaian sisters in the 18th century, speak to Lee Maracle’s “Goodbye Snauq,” a retelling of the formation of what we now call “Kitsilano?” What might the opening howl of Beowulf have to say to the teenage djinns of Mati Diop’s Atlantics? Where might the speaker of William Wordsworth’s “I Wondered Lonely as a Cloud” encounter the wandering, lonely narrator of Open City?

This team-taught course brings a diverse range of novels, poems and films together to think about historical and contemporary experiences of migration and movement. Together we’ll investigate literature’s ability to trace a counter-history of migration: what solidarities and connections emerge from histories of loss and displacement?

Please keep checking this post for more information about the course, its texts, and its requirements. Please email me (Gisele.Baxter@ubc.ca) if you have any questions.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.