About me

Jessica Motherwell McFarlane, Ph.D.
(Psychology of Gender, Online, Instructor and course Co-Author)

I have been interested in gender ever since I can remember. From childhood to adulthood, I could never conscience unfair or unequal treatment of individuals based on their gender. After obtaining my Ph.D. in 1992, I began teaching the Psychology of Gender and realized I had found an ideal vocation to satisfy my immense curiosity and zest for this complex topic. I am often surprised, challenged, and delighted by the many reactions students have to the material in this gender course. Journeying through this course with students each year only seems to refresh me and deepen my understanding of my own genderization. The importance and omnipresence of gender was made even more personal for me when my daughter was born and I observed the gender socialization first hand (whether I wanted it to happen or not!). As our new class begins, I look forward to digging deeper and learning even more about gender with you. I have co-authored this version of the Psychology of Gender with Evelyn Dalian, M.A. who I have worked with for many years. You will discover that I offer consistency in my teaching methods, as well as, diversity and breadth in my academic interests and personal gender experiences.

I am passionate about teaching and counselling and have dedicated over two decades to focusing on gender, youth, women’s issues, and transitions across the whole lifespan. Whether I am teaching in my classroom or in session in my counselling office, I have the same goal: to help you overcome unrealistic and unfair pressures to be who-you-are-not so you can truly be YOU.

I appreciate that great challenges can come along with changes of all kinds; that is just one of the reasons I am so inspired when working with Youth: because they are learning how to “surf” on a wave of social/physical change each day. Life changes can be painful and scary but they can also be empowering and growing. I am here to help you find new ways to open up and untie the complex “knots” in your life so you can see new solutions. I am here to believe in YOU.

Contact me: 

You can also contact me by telephone by leaving a message at my office  number: (604) 980-0160

If, at any time during the course, you wish to contact me, I will be pleased to receive your messages by Vista email, WIMBA voice mail, or phone. I will attempt to respond to your messages at my earliest convenience. As a general practice, I will try to return your messages within 24 to 48 hours on weekdays but will not respond on weekends or holidays. In addition, I will be available to read on-line course discussions during weekdays. Some late-night owls or morning early birds, therefore, may need to wait for timely responses to postings made outside the usual business hours.

If you want to contact me, please use the VISTA Mail tool and select “Instructor.” You can also contact me by using the WIMBA voicemail tool.

You can access the Vista email by clicking on Mail in the left navigation bar. Click on Compose Message and then Browse for recipients. In the window that pops up, select PSYC320 Instructor (gender). You can access WIMBA by clicking on WIMBA tools on the home page; and then click on Voice email, and select Instructor from the menu.