Teaching and Research Experience

Work Experience

Feb 2023 to present. Facilitator, Decolonization Wellspring. Decolonize First workshop series for B.C. Interior Health: Aboriginal Cultural Safety & Humility department. I am teaching two cohorts.

Feb 2023 to March 2023. Instructor (in Collaboration with Chelsea Bell Eady), Capilano University. Design 122: Creative Thinking, IDEA department.

Sep 2021 to Dec 2022. Instructor, Capilano University. I taught Introduction to Psychology (Psyc 101) to first year learners. Online classes.

Sep 2021 to Apr 2022. Instructor, Kwantlen Polytechnic University. I taught Introduction to Psychology (Psyc 1100) to first year learners. Online classes.

Sep 2020 to April 2021. Instructor, Justice Institute of British Columbia. I taught Introduction to Research Methods Face-to-face and online classes.

Jan 2015 to May 2017. Co-Instructor. I taught Multiculturalism, Conflict, and Social Justice, with my co-instructor, Marion Craig, Sgt. Ret’d. This is a fourth year course in the Bachelors of Law Enforcement Studies at the Justice Institute of British Columbia. In this course, we teach students to engage in community service learning around a wide range of diversity and social justice issues, most notably about gender, race and food sustainability.

Jan 2013 to May 2017. Instructor. I taught Law Enforcement in a Diverse Society, a first year course in the Law Enforcement Studies at the Justice Institute of British Columbia. In this course I taught students who wish to be law enforcement officers about a wide range of diversity and social justice issues, most notably about gender, race, and Aboriginal issues. In addition, I trained students to practice using respectful, inclusive behaviours and use visual intelligence techniques to help overcome their implicit biases.

Jan 2003 to Aug 2013. Instructor. I taught the Psychology of Gender (online in a highly interactive web-based classroom), a third year course offered jointly by the Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology and the Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia. Evelyn Dalian (B.A., Psych; M.A., Counselling Psych) has been my Teaching Assistant for all of my courses.

Sep 1994 to Apr 2003. Instructor. I taught the Psychology of Gender, (by distance via telephone conferences and written assignments mailed by post), a third year course offered jointly by the Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology and the Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia.

Jan 2014 to present. Designer, Director and Teacher-trainer, Life Outside the Box: An educational and crime-prevention program designed to support children’s and youth’s personal grit, resiliency, awareness of others, and sense of life-purpose by examining the heroes in comic book stories. I have trained Grade 5/6/7 teachers and school liaison officers to use the hero’s journey and comic creation to empower children and youth to better understand their own and others’ character strengths and weakness. “It can take several fails before the hero achieves that epic win.” I piloted this program in six B.C. schools around the province. To date, more than 2000 drawings have been created by students, educators, and officers using the simple comic book techniques I designed for the project and post-project development.

Sep 1989 – present. Gender, cultural competency, diversity, and social justice professional development workshop facilitator and keynote speaker. I custom build and offer professional development opportunities for teachers, educational assistants, and health care providers.

Sep 1992 to 1995. Lecturer. I taught the Psychology of Gender (on campus – for daytime and evening classes), a third year course offered by the Department of Psychology, University of British Columbia.