Posted by: | 3rd Jan, 2013

Much Ado About Nothing: A catalyst for the exploration of gender inequality

For my inquiry project, I will be exploring literary criticisms of Shakespeare’s Much Ado about Nothing. I will focus on the central (and contemporary) issue of gender inequality in the play, and have already found a plethora of resources that provide excellent guidance.

I have decided to go this route because Much Ado about Nothing is what I will be teaching my grade 9 students, and I feel that issues of sexism and patriarchy will allow my students to see the universal and present day relevance of a play that was written hundreds of years ago. I also hope that through my research I will also be able to show my students, through my teaching, just how accessible Shakespearean literature can be. Furthermore, while some may argue that many Shakespearean characters are representations of weak women, I will argue that in Much Ado about Nothing, Shakespeare challenges the notion of societal produced gender roles through the characters of Hero and Beatrice.

As I have already mentioned, I have compiled a list of resources I will be using to aid my inquiry – the majority of which are scholarly journal articles. I will critically evaluate these documents and expect to conclude with the idea that Much Ado about Nothing is filled with copious examples of gender inequality, but that it is this sentiment that makes it an excellent illustration of a historical text that is very much relevant in modern-day society. I also hope to use my research towards modifying and perfecting my lessons for this play, with the end goal of having a well thought out and engaging unit plan.

*Works Cited attached in comments section*

Responses

Berger Jr, Harry. “Against the Sink-a-Pace: Sexual and Family Politics in Much Ado about Nothing.” Shakespeare Quarterly (1982): 302-313.

Brown, John Russell. “Representing Sexuality in Shakespeare’s Plays.” New Theatre Quarterly 13.51 (1997): 205-213.

Cook, Carol. “The Sign and Semblance of Her Honor”: Reading Gender Difference in Much Ado about Nothing.” Publications of the Modern Language Association of America (1986): 186-202.

Friedman, Michael D. “Hush’d on Purpose to Grace Harmony”: Wives and Silence in “Much Ado about Nothing.” Theatre Journal (1990): 350-363.

Gough, Melinda J. “Her filthy feature open showne” in Ariosto, Spenser, and Much Ado about Nothing.” SEL Studies in English Literature 1500-1900 39.1 (1999): 41-67.

Lewalski, Barbara K. “Love, Appearance and Reality: Much Ado about Something.” Studies in English Literature, 1500-1900 (1968): 235-251.

Marsden, Jean I. “Shakespeare for Girls: Mary Lamb and Tales from Shakespeare.” Children’s Literature 17.1 (1989): 47-63.

Maus, Katharine Eisaman. “Horns of Dilemma: Jealousy, Gender, and Spectatorship in English Renaissance Drama.” ELH 54.3 (1987): 561-583.

Showalter, Elaine, William Shakespeare, and Susanne Lindgren Wofford. Representing Ophelia: women, madness, and the responsibilities of feminist criticism. Macmillan, 1994.

Scheff, Thomas J. “Gender Wars: Emotions in “Much Ado about Nothing”.” Sociological Perspectives (1993): 149-166.

Thanks, Natasha, for this excellent submission. The topic is rich and timely, particularly in the wake of contemporary events that are putting the question of women’s rights forefront on the world stage. In addition to exploring literature about gender and sexuality in Shakespeare, you may wish to look at some literature exploring youth attitudes to gender roles from the fields of sociology and psychology. I’ve posted a few articles here: http://www.citeulike.org/groupfunc/17541/home . I also came across this article from UToronto researchers: http://pwq.sagepub.com/content/36/3/301.abstract

Teresa

Hi Natasha,

Sounds great! Personally, I love exploring politics through literature and I think that by exploring issues of gender inequality your students will be able to relate much more to Shakespeare’s play.

Will you be introducing any specific feminist theories to your students from which they can critique the play? Might be worthwhile to consider the various vantage points from which feminists agree/disagree…

Thanks for sharing!

-Ashlee

Hey Ashlee!
I hadn’t thought of introducing specific feminist theories, but I think that would be an excellent idea, and actually help move along the classroom discussion(s) I hope to have on this topic.
Thanks for your input – I will definitely be putting it to use 🙂

Natasha

Natasha,

As you know, I will be teaching this play to a set of grade nine classes as well, and I can’t wait to hear your insights into how to incorporate discussion of gender inequality into the classroom.

I love Ashlee’s suggestion, and while I know you are worried about how to make this accessible/ interesting to the males in your classroom, I think that taking a Shakespearian receptions approach will help you make this more about gender constructions and social/ historical interpretations rather than simply about women.

Looking forward to reviewing your research!

Leave a response