Posted by: | 4th Jan, 2013

Assessment using Essential Learning Outcomes in a Junior English Classroom

Project Prospectus

How can students take ownership of their grades in school and view it as more than just a number or a letter? How does the use of criterion-referenced assessment, such as ELOs, affect student learning? How do techniques such as student self-assessment and student-created rubrics affect student learning?

For my inquiry project, I will be looking into how teachers can maximize the effectiveness of assessment to help students make the most of their own learning, with a potential focus on the use of criterion-referenced assessment.

Assessment is something that students are just accustomed to receiving. Even in grade eight, students are keenly aware that receiving a number is the traditional form of assessment in secondary school. At my practicum school, some grade eight and nine English teachers have started using Essential Learning Outcomes (ELOs) as a guideline for student assessment. Percentage grades are still given for assignments and are shown on report cards, but students are made aware of what skills they are being graded on. The ELOs also assist teachers in creating appropriate tasks for students by ensuring that activities and projects must fall under one of the categories from the ELOs. Students must pass all ELOs in order to pass grade 8. Because this is only the second semester ELOs have been used at my practicum school, I’m interested in researching the effect of criterion-referenced assessment in the classrooms (especially English). A copy of the English 8  ELOs have been attached below.

This project will involve researching academic sources related to the the theory, implementation and outcomes of criterion-referenced forms of assessment and its effectiveness in classrooms, as well as some personal feedback from teachers using this assessment strategy. I expect to conclude that the use of criterion-referenced forms of assessment has a positive influence in the classroom and on student learning. Hopefully, a greater understanding of ELOs will be developed and will lead to better utilization of assessment in my own classroom.

Bibliography:

Davis, Andrew. “Criterion-referenced Assessment and the Development of Knowledge and Understanding.” Journal of Philosophy of Education 29.1 (1995): 3-21. Web.

Hay, Peter J., & Doune Macdonald. “(Mis)appropriations of criteria and standards-referenced assessment in a performance-based subject.” Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice 15.2 (2008): 153-168. Web.

Hudson, Thom. “Trends in Assessment Scales and Criterion-Referenced Language Assessment.” Annual Review of Applied Linguistics 25 (2005): 205-227. Web.

Jewels, Tony, Marilyn Ford & Wendy Jones. “What Exactly Do You Want Me to Do? Analysis of a Criterion Referenced Assessment Project.” Journal of Information Technology Education 6 (2007): 1-16. Web.

Vasasova, Zlata. “The Influence of Criterion-Referenced Assessment on Students’ Attitudes towards Education.” The New Educational Review 20.1 (2010): 261-274. Web.

Responses

Hey Sophie!

Although I’ve never heard of ELOs, I’m really interested in how to get students more involved in assessment. One of my School Advisers taught Montessori for a decade so I’ve been learning a lot about student self-assessment and other forms of alternative assessment from her. When I do my literature circles unit, I’m planning on having students perform self-assessment after each literature circle meeting to help them gain a better understanding of the skills that they’re using when they discuss in groups.

I’m especially interested by your mention of student-created rubrics (that’s a new concept to me) and the fact that students are made aware of the skills they’re being graded on rather than just their percentage. I look forward to hearing more about this later in the term!

– Allison

Sophie, I think using criterion-referenced assessment for high school students is extremely important because students will be able to improve their skills based on these criterions rather than receiving an almost meaningless grade. I wish my school could start using these assessments as it is more of a traditional school and one of my SA is definitely grade oriented.

If it’s possible, I hope you could explore on some of the issues of how to implement criterion-referenced assessment in a traditional, more grade oriented school. Look forward to hear your presentation!

Sophie,

This is a rich and worthwhile topic that will be of great interest to your peers and also useful for you in your practicum. It may be useful to allude to the BC Performance Standards, which are prepared with a view to criterion-referenced assessment:

“The standards focus exclusively on performance assessment. In performance assessment students are asked to apply the skills and concepts they have learned to complete complex, realistic tasks. This type of assessment supports a criterion-referenced approach to evaluation and enables teachers, students, and parents to compare student performance to provincial standards” (BC Performance Standards).

As well, because you mention student self assessment and student-created rubrics, it would be useful to include articles on these topics in your reading list, as well as an article or two examining the affect of such approaches on student learning, motivation, etc.

I look forward to speaking more about your work in our meeting tomorrow.

Best,

Teresa

————

BC Performance Standards. Available: http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/perf_stands/

Hi Sophie,

I said I’d forward a reference in relation to the practice of grading:

BEGIN EXCERPT

In point of fact, the first instance of grading students’ papers occurred at Cambridge University in 1792 at the suggestion of a tutor named William Farish. No one knows much about William Farish; not more than a handful have ever heard of him. And yet his idea that a quantitative value should be assigned to human thoughts was a major step toward constructing a mathematical concept of reality. If a number can be given to the quality of a thought, then a number can be given to the qualities of mercy, love, hate, beauty, creativity, intelligence, even sanity itself. When Galileo said that the language of nature is written in mathematics, he did not mean to include human feeling or accomplishment or insight. But most of us are now inclined to make these inclusions. Our psychologists, sociologists, and educators find it quite impossible to do their work without numbers. They believe that without numbers they cannot acquire or express authentic knowledge.

I shall not argue here that this is a stupid or dangerous idea, only that it is peculiar. What is even more peculiar is that so many of us do not find the idea peculiar. To say that someone should be doing better work because he has an IQ of 134, or that someone is a 7.2 on a sensitivity scale, or that this man’s essay on the rise of capitalism is an A- and that man’s is a C+ would have sounded like gibberish to Galileo or Shakespeare or Thomas Jefferson. If it makes sense to us, that is because our minds have been conditioned by the technology of numbers so that we see the world differently than they did. Our understanding of what is real is different. Which is another way of saying that embedded in every tool is an ideological bias, a predisposition to construct the world as one thing rather than another, to value one thing over another, to amplify one sense or skill or attitude more loudly than another. (Postman, 1982, p. 13)

END EXCERPT

Reference

Postman, N. (1993). Technopoly: The surrender of culture to technology. Vintage.

Leave a response