Posted by: | 4th Jan, 2013

To Kill a Mockingbird: Criticism and Pedagogy

Ilana Finkleman

January 3 / 2013

Inquiry Seminar: Proposal

For my inquiry project, I plan to investigate literary criticism and pedagogy around Harper Lee’s To Kill a Mockingbird. I will be teaching this novel to a class of 9/10s at my practicum school. They are an accelerated class and meet every day which gives me the opportunity to dig deeply into issues exposed in the novel.

The novel is rich with history and issues of morality that are very relevant to students’ experiences in contemporary Canada. Of particular interest to me is the notion of striated societies and how certain characters in the novel push past the boundaries that align and keep small-town society and ideology in line and functioning according to the status quo. Rebecca H. Best discusses the importance of boundaries and adhering to the strict patterns laid out by society in her article on Mockingbird. According to Best, Mockingbird demonstrates the structure of a society that is deeply regulated by the way people are expected to behave and act. Anyone who is outside this strict regiment is attacked or attemptively forced back into the mould that holds fast to the status quo; Best offers that society acts as its own Panopticon (Foucault’s term from Discipline and Punish) or watchdog of sorts and keeps itself in check. Certain characters in Mockingbird also exist outside the rule-bound and kept in-check operation of society in the novel – these characters are considered insane by the other characters – this being the only mechanism to which they can act outside the highly regimented social code that structures society in Maycomb (ex. Boo Radley, Dolphus Raymond). Such a theory on societal structure is translatable and potentially relevant to students’ own understanding of their own daily activity in microcosmic friend groups, their personal belief systems, or life in Vancouver/Canada, more generally. The importance of being a boundary-pusher and attempting to destabilize societal order in order to support what is morally the right thing to do is also a model students may be inspired by.

Also central to this novel are issues of prejudice and ideology. Understanding the effects of education, the historical context and mindset of the times, and the influence of the people you interact with on the way prejudice develops is also central to the novel and again applicable to students’ own experiences. I am awaiting the arrival of a book from the library which contextualizes the novel in the time it was written (the Civil Rights period) and also the time in which it took place (the Depression in the 30s). This book by Claudia Durst Johnson offers information about the trials of the Scottsboro boys – black boys accused of raping a black girl, and supposedly the story Lee based the trial of Tom Robinson on, the symbol of the pure and virginal white Southern woman and the threats posed to her purity, a history of lynching, etc. Having an awareness of the history that enrobes this historical fiction is necessary to breaking into its complexity. Also important is recognizing our own institutionalized prejudices and how these cloud the way we operate in our society.

Finally, pedagogical theory around this novel suggests utilizing role play – having students act out and decide on decisions around the difficult moral situations presented to characters in this novel as a tool for students to engage kinesthetically with the complex moral situations facing many of the characters who challenge the status quo. Also, paralleling and drawing connections between scenarios which challenge moral positioning from the novel with scenarios which are relevant to students’ current life experiences might be a useful angle of exploration of the moral complexities in the novel.

Works Consulted

Best, Rebecca H. “Panopticism and the Use of the Other in To Kill a Mockingbird.” Mississippi Quarterly 62.3 (2009): 541 – 560. Web.

Durst Johnson, Claudia. To Kill a Mockingbird: Threatening Boundaries.  New York: Simon & Schuster Macmillan, 1994. Print.

—.Understanding To Kill a Mockingbird: A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historic Documents. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press, 1994. Print.

Gibbons, Louel C. To Kill a Mockingbird in the Classroom: Walking in Someone Else’s Shoes. Urbana: National Council of English Teachers, 2009. Print.

Peters, Mike. “Examining a Set Text – To Kill a Mockingbird Fifty Years on.” NATE CLASSROOM 12 (2010). 34. Web. Jan 4 2013.

Saney, Isaac. “The Case Against To Kill a Mockingbird.” Race & Class 45.1 (2003). 99-105. Web. Jan 4 2013.

Stiltner, Mitzi-Ann. “Don’t Put Your Shoes on the Bed: A Moral Analysis of To Kill a Mockingbird.” MA Thesis, 2002. Web. Jan 4 2013.

Responses

Ilana, To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my all time favorite works of literature, so I am am truly looking forward to seeing your presentation and reading your essay. I love the notion of characters pushing past boundaries, and think this is perhaps what led to my deep love for this book.

The book you are still waiting for from the library sounds like an excellent source, and I can’t wait to see what you dig up in terms of the historical context of the novel. A while back, I had the opportunity to read up on the Scottsboro boys, and had no idea that Harper Lee had drawn inspiration from this case in particular.

Can’t wait to see your finished product Ilana – good luck 🙂

Ilana,

This is a very well written and comprehensive prospectus. You have outlined quite a comprehensive project and have identified relevant sources. Among other things, you remark, “The novel is rich with history and issues of morality that are very relevant to students’ experiences in contemporary Canada. Of particular interest to me is the notion of striated societies and how certain characters in the novel push past the boundaries that align and keep small-town society and ideology in line and functioning according to the status quo.” You may be interested in reviewing Melanie’s proposal as well as the two comments I’ve written in response, which you’ll find here: https://blogs.ubc.ca/educ451/2013/01/04/project-prospectus-tkam/ . Melanie is contemplating taking up the question of how alternate knowledge frameworks might be brought to bear on the societal problems outlined in _TKAM_. You may find pairing your presentations on the day a useful way forward.

Considering that your focus is largely on the theoretical uptake of the novel and how that might be applied in the classroom, you may find it helpful to review the articles I reference below.

I look forward to discussing this topic further tomorrow.

Teresa

——-

Appleman, D. (2000). Critical encounters in high school English: Teaching literary theory to adolescents. New York: Teachers College Press.

Wilhelm, J. D. (2002). Let’s Give Them Something to Talk (And Think) about: Using Literary Theory to Enliven Our Classrooms. English Journal, 128-130.

Ilana,

You asked for some references in respect to ideology and the teaching of literature. I’ve listed some sources below. You’ll find some are more directly on topic than others, and many date from about 20 years ago, when this topic was most under discussion. Generally speaking, articles about teaching literary theory should be relevant to your discussion, so do take a look at the sources I posted earlier if you have not already done so.

Best,

Teresa

————

Beach, R. (1993). A Teacher’s Introduction to Reader-Response Theories. NCTE Teacher’s Introduction Series. NCTE Teacher’s Introduction Series. Urbana, IL: National Council of Teachers of English. UBC electronic holdings: go to ERIC (EBSCO Interface) in the UBC databases for a PDF of the full text.

Benesch, S. (1993). ESL, ideology, and the politics of pragmatism. TESOL quarterly, 27(4), 705-717. (This has an ESL focus; however, it may be of interest.)

Blau, S. (1993). Building Bridges between Literary Theory and the Teaching of Literature [Online Report]. Retrieved from
http://www.albany.edu/cela/reports/blaubridges.pdf

Graff, G. (2007). Tradition versus Theory [Chapter 15]. Professing Literature : An Institutional History (20th Anniversary Edition). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press, 247-262. UBC Ebrary holdings. Permanent URL (you must log in to access this item):
http://resolve.library.ubc.ca/cgi-bin/catsearch?bid=4586192

Mukherjee, A.P. (1986). Ideology in the classroom: a case study in the teaching of English Literature in Canadian Universities. The Dalhousie Review, 66(1/2).

Purves, A.C. (1994). The ideology of canons and cultural concerns in the literature curriculum. Multicultural literature and literacies: Making space for difference, 105-127.

Shkedi, A., & Horenczyk, G. (1995). The role of teacher ideology in the teaching of culturally valued texts. Teaching and Teacher Education, 11(2), 107-117.

Thanks a lot for your continual suggestions – I have had a look at a number of these… and some also led me to other articles that have been useful, as well! Thanks for the direction!

Leave a response