Posted by: | 4th Jan, 2013

Into the Wild: The merits of non-fiction in English classrooms

Project Prospectus:

For my individual inquiry, I have chosen to inquire into the topic of non-fiction novels with the focus on Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer. I am interested in finding out the usefulness of using a non-fiction novel in a high school English class to explore various topics such as coming of age, adventure, money/wealth, and reality. I believe that non-fiction is undervalued in the classroom setting, and that students, and perhaps especially boys, will benefit from the uses of non-fiction literature in the classroom as texts for study and discussion.

Furthermore, I think that Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer is an especially useful text because of the debate and controversy around the main character, Chris McCandless (aka Alex Supertramp). While some consider him a hero, many argue that his trek into Alaska shows how ill-prepared and idealistic McCandless was, leading to his tragic death. Using this as a starting point, and only as one example of the usefulness of non-fiction in the classroom, students are able to use non-fiction texts to grapple with social issues and debates, and slowly become more and more involved, rationalizing their ideas and conclusions, in the real world that surrounds them.

For my inquiry, I will focus on research that examines the use of non-fiction in the classroom. I also hope to do some research myself into Chris McCandless, namely who he admired and how they affected his decision to trek into Alaska alone. Such authors include Jack London and Henry David Thoreau. I hope to look especially at how boys might especially benefit from studying non-fiction literature, and how teachers should take advantage of this fact if it is indeed true. I expect that throughout my research I will find much support for the use of non-fiction literature in the classroom, and that it does indeed allow students more opportunity to be involved in both past and contemporary real-world issues.

Works to be Consulted:

Artichuk, Francine et al. Echoes 12: Fiction, media, and non-fiction – Teacher’s resource. Don Mills, ON: Oxford UP, 2002. Print.

Hedrick, Joan D. Solitary comrade, Jack London and his work. Chapel Hill, NC: U of North Carolina P, 1982. Print.

Linda Rief. Vision & voice: Extending the literacy spectrum. Portsmouth, NH: Heinemann, 1999. Print.

Mallett, Margaret. Early years non-fiction: A guide to helping young researchers use and enjoy information texts. London, NY: RoutledgeFalmer, 2003. Web.

Ponech, Trevor. What is non-fiction cinema?: On the very idea of motion picture communication. Boulder, Colo: Westview Press, 1999. Print.

Raskin, Jonah. “Calls of the Wild on the Page and Screen: From Jack London and Gary Snyder to Jon Krakauer and Sean Penn.” American Literary Realism 43 (April 2011): 198-203. Web.

Read, Adam. Christopher McCandless aka Alex Supertramp. 2001. Web. http://www.christophermccandless.info/intothewildpictures.html. 4 Jan 2013.

Root, R. L. Teaching Creative Non-Fiction. Pedagogy: Critical Approaches to Teaching Literature, Language, Composition, and Culture, 4(2) (Spring 2004): 289-322. Web.

Wray, David & Lewis, Maureen. Extending literacy: Children reading and writing non-fiction. London, NY: Routledge, 1997. Web.

Responses

Hi Annie,

I think your proposal sounds interesting. I’ve not yet read Into the Wild, but personally enjoy reading non-fiction literature that specifically deals with human rights and politics.

Certainly, as we discussed in class this morning, there is a huge void (at least in my eyes!) in English literature courses that can easily be filled with non-fiction.

Students can gain such diverse perspectives from non-fiction, plus, it’s informative without having that somewhat dry, textbook quality. (Okay, not always true…) Non-fiction could certainly be used in conjunction with a fiction piece in order to add that bit of “reality” or even as a point of contrast/comparison?

Looking forward to seeing what you uncover!

-Ashlee

Annie,

As I mentioned in class, I think this examination of the merits of teaching non-fiction will be fruitful. I’ve added a couple of additional articles you may find useful. The Moss (2002) and Smith (2004) articles specifically speak to boys reading preferences and non-fiction selections, as does Coles and Hall (2002). These will be helpful in establishing an argument for the worth of making room for this oft-forgotten genre in English classrooms.

Friends of mine who are in the writing world (e.g., Carol Shaben, author of the recent literary fiction monograph _Into the Abyss_ [2012]) often note that their agents tell them literary non-fiction is fast becoming the genre of choice among readers and it is therefore a good genre for professional writers to take a crack at if they want readership. It might be worth seeing if you can find any evidence supporting this notion. If so, then there is another reason for contemplating the merits of the genre: it seems to be on the rise. One might ponder why this is so. Is there a parallel with the rise of reality shows in other media? And this of course also raises the question of the permeability of divides such as “fiction” and “non-fiction.” We can speak more about this in our meeting tomorrow.

Finally, as I said to Ellis, I do hope the two of you will take a moment in the presentation to speak of possible parallels between your books. It’s an opportunity to contemplate different ways (fiction, non-fiction) into a similar topic (youth alienation, angst, etc).

I look forward to speaking more of these ideas tomorrow.

Best,

Teresa

——-

Coles, M., & Hall, C. (2002). Gendered readings: Learning from children’s reading choices. Journal of Research in Reading, 25(1), 96-108.

Hopper, R. (2005). What are teenagers reading? Adolescent fiction reading habits and reading choices. Literacy, 39(3), 113-120.

Lewis, M. (1997). Extending literacy: Children reading and writing non-fiction. Routledge.

Moss, G. (2002). Raising boys’ attainment in reading: Some principles for intervention. Reading, 34(3), 101-106.

Shaben, C. (2012). Into the Abyss: How a Deadly Plane Crash Changed the Lives of a Pilot, a Politician, a Criminal and a Cop. Random House Canada.

Smith, S. (2004). The non‐fiction reading habits of young successful boy readers: forming connections between masculinity and reading. Literacy, 38(1), 10-16.

What an interesting idea for your inquiry! I devoured this book and also enjoyed the movie adaptation of the story.

I wholeheartedly agree that this non-fiction story should be appealing to boys in your class and provide a great source of discussion. Is the main character a hero or naive/idealistic/over confident?

I look forward to your presentation!

Gabriel

This is a very interesting idea to look into! Non-fiction is definitely undervalued in English classrooms but you’re right, having non-fiction is the classroom is a great way to engage students and show them the usefulness of reading. I feel like so many secondary students just brush literature off as things written by dead artists and not relevant to their modern lives. Having non-fiction narratives also benefit as being easier to read language-wise compared to textbooks or news articles. Can’t wait to hear more in your presentation!

I have yet to read this text, but have heard many people speak of it, so I’m greatly intrigued. Just as a point of clarification, are you suggesting that boys would be more interested in non-fiction in general, or that they would be interested in this specific novel because of the nature of the story?

Also, I saw this documentary film a few years back, and I became obsessed with it. There’s something awfully romantic about leaving your entire life behind, building your shelter with your own bare hands, and living off of the nature that surrounds you. Hopefully it’s okay that I share a youtube link on this blog!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss

Leave a response