Posted by: | 4th Jan, 2013

Anxiety in Foreign Language Classrooms

Gabriel Jones & Christina Lee

As future Japanese language teachers, a major concern of ours is the anxiety, especially in listening and speaking, felt by students in foreign language classrooms. This anxiety can hinder students from fully realizing their educational potential, because it affects their confidence, motivation, and emotional well-being.

From our initial research, we have identified three types of anxieties in the foreign language classroom: communication apprehension, test anxiety, and fear of negative evaluation (Horwitz et. al 127). In other words, students are hesitant and even embarrassed to communicate in the target language, fear  failure on tests, and dread being viewed negatively by peers and teachers. Although these feelings are present in all subject areas, the anxiety felt in foreign language classrooms are distinct because language learning essentially “threatens an individual’s self-concept and worldview” in the sense that students are essentially put in an unfamiliar space where they are not able to communicate freely (Horwitz et. al 125). Therefore, we want to conduct inquiry into greater understanding of the anxiety and its detriments, as well as possible strategies of alleviating such anxieties in the foreign language classroom.

In order to attain a deeper understanding of this issue, we intend to read a variety of scholarly articles pertaining to anxiety, natural teaching methods, and assessment in the foreign language classroom. We hope to make use of the research and identify potential roots of those anxieties, in order to create and foster a positive classroom environment that will help to lessen stress felt by students during our long practica. Our ultimate goal is to recognize students’ distress and collaboratively create ways of overcoming those obstacles in the foreign language classroom.

Works consulted:

Grenfell, Michael, and Vee Harris. Modern Languages and Learning Strategies: In Theory and Practice. New York: Routledge Falmer, 1999. Print.

Clark, Ann. “Boys into Modern Languages: An Investigation of the Discrepancy in Attitudes and Performance between Boys and Girls in Modern Languages.” Gender and Education 7.3 (1995): 315-26. Print.

Aida, Yukie. “Examination of Horwitz, Horwitz, and Cope’s Construct of Foreign Language Anxiety: The Case of Students of Japanese.” The Modern Language Journal 78.2 (1994): 155-68. Print.

Bernhardt, Elizabeth, and Joann Hammadou. “A Decade of Research in Foreign Language Teacher Education.” The Modern Language Journal 71.3 (1987): 289-99. Print.

Terrell, T. D. “The Natural Approach to Language Teaching: An Update.” The Modern Language Journal 66.2 (1982): 121-32. Print.

Hendrickson, James M. “Error Correction in Foreign Language Teaching: Recent Theory, Research, and Practice.” The Modern Language Journal 62.8 (1978): 387-98. Print.

Horwitz, Elaine K., Michael B. Horwitz, and Joann Cope. “Foreign Language Classroom Anxiety.” The Modern Language Journal 70.2 (1986): 125-32. Print.

Sung-Yeon Kim. “Is Foreign Language Classroom Anxiety Context Free Or Context Dependent?” Foreign Language Annals 43.2 (2010): 187-9. Print.

Sparks, Richard L., and Leonore Ganschow. “Is the Foreign Language Classroom Anxiety Scale Measuring Anxiety Or Language Skills?” Foreign Language Annals 40.2 (2007): 260-87. Print.

Responses

Gabriel and Christina,

This is an interesting, complex issue. My suggestion at the outset would be that you attempt to support some of your claims: 1. are Japanese classes declining; 2. what are the potential causes. You believe that the decline “is at least partially attributed to the devaluing of elective courses, as well as anxiety felt in foreign language classrooms.” I’m not sure that there has been a devaluing of elective courses, particularly language courses (through my 22 years in education I have in fact seen rather the opposite). I think it’s just as likely that funding policies based on enrollment threaten courses. We can chat more about this today in class.

Teresa

8 January ADDENDUM:

This is an addendum to my above comment:

I think you’ve done a terrific job of revising in consideration of my earlier comment on 4 January. What you propose is doable and important. I’m glad elected not to pursue the political angle (classroom funding, etc), which seemed to be a tangent. I look forward to chatting again tomorrow to discuss the progress you’ve made and to answer any questions.

Teresa

Just wanted to say I find this topic so incredibly interesting, and one that I can relate with very much.

I remember all throughout high school, I had so much anxiety and worry when it came to my French class. While I ended up doing quite well, I had to put in a lot of work, and was often nervous due to the fact that it often felt like my classmates were understanding concepts a lot faster than I was. This, coupled with the fact that I found (and still do!) all the verb conjugations confusing, made French a subject that left me feeling inferior.

Can’t wait to see what you come up with – good luck!

Last semester I had the opportunity to read several articles concerning writing and reading literature. I focused a lot on poetry and found an interesting article concerning ELL classes, in which poetry was used to counter anxiety.
I will include the reference below so you can check it out and see if it is of any use to you!

Hanauer, David I. “Meaningful literacy: Writing poetry in the language classroom.” Language Teaching, 45.1 (January 2012): 105-115.

Great topic Christina and Gabriel! It is very relevant to me as I will be teaching many EAL classes in the coming up practicum and am very interested in how to reduce the anxiety of students in learning English. I hope you find many resources to use in such classes to help students engage with the content materials rather than having fear and anxieties when they are learning.

I think having anxiety in learning is not only present in foreign language classes, but also in regular content classes when a student is not particularly confident in his/her ability of reading, writing,
listening, etc. Maybe you guys can explore on this issue a little bit? Maybe just integrate some resources that we can use in regular classes to help these students feel more relaxed.

Look forward to hear this!! 🙂

Hi Gabriel and Christina,

I said I’d offer some resources on the California English-only legislation. The bill I was thinking of was Proposition 227. If you search the UBC Library or Google Scholar for this proposition you’ll find many articles, some of which are included below.

Likewise, a search for “approaches to writing correction” yields a wealth of material on that topic. I can’t recommend any one article in particular; however, I’ve included a couple on the “red pen” debate and another on grammar correction in L2 classrooms.

As we noted in the meeting today, you can begin to develop your thoughts on the assigned page rather than further revising the prospectus.

Best,

Teresa
———

Bardine, B. A., Bardine, M. S., & Deegan, E. F. (2000). Beyond the red pen: Clarifying our role in the response process. The English Journal, 90(1), 94-101.

Crawford, J. (1997). The Campaign against Proposition 227: A Post Mortem. Bilingual Research Journal, 21(1), 1-29.

Ferris, D. (1999). The case for grammar correction in L2 writing classes: A response to Truscott (1996). Journal of Second Language Writing, 8(1), 1-11.

García, E. E., & Curry-Rodriguez, J. E. (2000). The education of limited English proficient students in California schools: An assessment of the influence of Proposition 227 in selected districts and schools. Bilingual Research Journal, 24(1-2), 15-35.

Johnson, K. R., & Martinez, G. A. (1999). Discrimination by Proxy: The Case of Proposition 227 and the Ban on Bilingual Education. UC Davis L. Rev., 33, 1227.

Parrish, T. B., Merickel, A., Perez, M., Linquanti, R., Socias, M., Spain, A., … & Delancey, D. (2006). Effects of the Implementation of Proposition 227 on the Education of English Learners, K-12: Findings from a Five-Year Evaluation. Final Report for AB 56 and AB 1116. American Institutes for Research.

Semke, H. D. (1984). Effects of the red pen. Foreign Language Annals, 17(3), 195-202.

Hello,

I’m am really looking forward to your presentation already! I think you will find a lot of different advice on how to lower the anxiety of students. I know that there is a lot of research out there! It will be interesting to see how you sift through it all and boil it down to some practical advice on how to run a low-stress classroom.

In my experience, a major factor in the level of anxiety students experience is the amount of error correction a teacher uses. If one is using a communicative approach, in which language use is focused on communicating messages rather than producing perfect sentences, students are much less fearful of using sentence types and vocabulary they are unsure of.

Happy inquiring,
Dayonne

Fellow LLED 381ers-

I am so interested in this topic and I think it has been my main concern regarding my approach to teaching Spanish. As student in Spanish class I always felt a certain level of anxiety and often wonder how I can help my students to avoid this uncomfortable feeling. I believe that “communication apprehension” will be my main struggle as I seem to struggle with this as well.

I look forward to looking at the strategies that you come across, especially in regards to what you call “natural teaching methods”.

I’m excited to see your presentation! I’m really coming from the same place as Sarah here since we’re both teaching EAL classes during our practicum and hopefully into the future and anxiety is a huge problem for students! There’s a lot of pressure for EAL students to learn English which is crucial to their success here in a Canadian high school. I’m also teaching grade 8 English and the matter of anxiety came up for me in that class too. Grade 8 students are new to the high school system and can feel anxiety from losing some of the connections they had in elementary classrooms where everyone stays together all day.

Leave a response