Posted by: | 4th Jan, 2013

Theoretical Uptake of J.D Salinger’s _The Catcher in the Rye_

For this independent inquiry project, I hope to undertake a study of literary criticism focused on J.D Salinger’s novel The Catcher in the Rye. During the upcoming practicum, I will be teaching The Catcher in the Rye to two grade eleven classes, so this inquiry will directly support the unit I plan to teach. This study is rooted in a belief that secondary school teachers should be well versed in a wide range of theories and ways in which the text has been critically examined throughout the work’s history.
Since its publication, The Catcher in the Rye has been popular with adolescent readers due to themes of teenage confusion, angst, alienation, and rebellion. While it is a bestseller, it has also been challenged and noted as one of the most controversial books in education, mainly due to its liberal use of profanity and portrayal of sexuality. In this case, I think an exploration of literary criticism related to literature can be applied in a high school setting because it will help to unpack where the novel is situated within history and popular culture, as well as how it has been academically examined and taught. Further, having a greater understanding of how the novel has been interpreted will allow me to help students understand what it can mean to be literary critics themselves. By inquiring into how the novel has been analyzed, I will be able to think about the ways in which different theories can be presented in the classroom, and in turn, how these theories can help to engage students and encourage them to apart of this community of critics.

Works Consulted (or To Be Consulted)

Cui Wang, and Xiaofen Zhang. “Returning to Youth and Nature —The Catcher in the Rye in Ecocriticism.” Journal of Language Teaching and Research 1.3 (2010): 269-73.

Draffan, Robert A. Novel Approaches: Teaching “the Catcher in the Rye”. 24 Vol. 1973.

Glasser, William. Reclaiming Literature: A Teacher’s Dilemma. Westport, Conn: Praeger, 1994.

Lingdi Chen. “An Analysis of the Adolescent Problems in the Catcher in the Rye.” Asian Social Science 5.5 (2009).

Pinsker, Sanford, and Ann Pinsker. Understanding the Catcher in the Rye: A Student Casebook to Issues, Sources, and Historical Documents. Westport, Conn: Greenwood Press, 1999.

Privitera, Lisa. “Holden’s Irony in Salinger’s the Catcher in the RYE.” The Explicator 66.4 (2008): 203-6.

Salzberg, Joel. Critical Essays on Salinger’s the Catcher in the Rye. Boston, Mass: G.K. Hall, 1990.

Salzman, Jack. New Essays on the Catcher in the Rye. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991.

Smith, Michael W. Understanding Reliable Narrators: Reading Between the Lines in the Literature Classroom. Champaign, IL: National Council of Teachers of English, 1991.

Steed, J. P. The Catcher in the Rye: New Essays. New York: Peter Lang, 2002.

Steinle, Pamela Hunt. In Cold Fear: The Catcher in the Rye Censorship Controversies and Postwar American Character. Columbus: Ohio State University Press, 2000.

Tolchin, Karen R. Part Blood, Part Ketchup: Coming of Age in American Literature and Film. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books, 2007.

Verde, Tom. Twentieth-Century Writers. New York, NY: Facts On File, Inc1996.

Wilson, James R. Responses of College Freshmen to Three Novels. Champaign, IL: National Council of Teachers of English, 1966.

Responses

This sounds like a really interesting topic, Ellis. As you know, I’m undertaking a similar inquiry relating to another popular high school text. I agree that it’s important to have as broad as possible an understanding of the social and political history of the works we use with our students. With a work as loved (and hated) as Catcher in the Rye, you’ll have a lot of information to sift through, but I think you’re right that you (and your students) will be better for it.

Knowing how the novel has been received by various groups at various times may also give you another in-road to use with students, who will probably like the idea of reading a text that has been challenged and banned. (Who doesn’t love a bit of subversion now and again?) I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ellis,

This is an interesting topic and it appears you have selected a range of relevant readings. For a more contemporary selection you might try doing an advanced search through either the UBC Library or Google Scholar in which you limit the date range to, say, the last 15 or 20 years. Around the 50-year anniversary of _Catcher_ there were also a number of articles in newspapers with a literary leaning (e.g., the NYT) discussing the popular (rather than theoretical) reception of _Catcher_ — why it caught and stayed in the public imagination. This is an interesting question. Beyond looking at theoretical uptake, then, you might wish to look at reception history from the point of view of readership, including the way _Catcher_ was appropriated, along with _Lord of the Flies_, as one of the first novels in the emerging “Young Adult Fiction” genre. FitzGerald (2004) discusses this in his interesting article on YA fiction, “The Influence of Anxiety.”

I do hope you’ll team up with Annie in some way in the context of the presentation to illustrate to the class the connections between your novel and _Into the Wild_.

Finally, I’ve cited a couple of texts (Appleman, 2000; Wilhelm, 2002) dealing directly with literary criticism in secondary English classrooms. You may wish to include these in your reading.

I look forward to discussing your project more in our meeting tomorrow.

Teresa

——–

Appleman, D. (2000). Critical encounters in high school English: Teaching literary theory to adolescents. New York: Teachers College Press.

FitzGerald, Frances. (2004). The Influence of Anxiety. Harper’s Magazine, Vol. 309, Issue 1852, p62-70.

Wilhelm, J. D. (2002). Let’s Give Them Something to Talk (And Think) about: Using Literary Theory to Enliven Our Classrooms. English Journal, 128-130.

Ellis,

I really like the approach you wish to undertake in the course of your inquiry. In particular, I really like the fact that you wish to give your students a sense of empowerment by extending an invitation to them to become a part of the community of critics. What a great way to incorporate theory into the classroom!

I look forward to hearing about your findings.

Natalia

Great topic, Ellis 🙂

I’m embarrassed to admit that the first course I took regarding modern theories of criticism was only a year ago. The course was offered at the 400-level, and the professor who taught it took great issue with the fact that critical theory hadn’t been introduced to university students sooner. I’ll go one step further by saying it’s never too early to teach about critical theory, and grade eleven seems like a great time to start.

I know your focus is more on how criticism can help you teach this novel holistically, but I think there would be great value in introducing those theories to the students, and have them experiment in being critical thinkers. Not only will it better prepare them for a post-secondary education if they choose to pursue it, but it will also allow them to be active critics in the world around them.

I am also teaching Catcher In The Rye to my Grade 11s, so I look forward to your presentation.

This sounds like a really interesting avenue of inquiry. I recently started thinking about using theories of criticism with my grade 11 and 12 students, and have been considering what might be the best way to do that – so I’m looking forward to your presentation.

Leave a response