#7: RE: Improving Your Amazon.com Rankings

Improving Your Amazon.com Rankings” is a blog post that discusses the strategy to receive high rankings on Amazon products is quite interesting and fun to know, since my group project topic is on Amazon.ca.

Knowing that Amazon is building their own distribution centers right now, Canadian consumers can purchase Amazon products at a lower costs by 2012 with decreased mailing costs. Currently, products are either shipped from the states or around the world to Canada since Amazon’s been blocked to have its own distribution centers here for years due to government’s regulations.

In Canada, our government is very sensitive towards big corporations trying to enter our market and take foreign control of the cultural industry. To keep Canada with its cultural values and beliefs, it is important for our government to do what it takes to protect domestic businesses.

The post itself allowed me to understand the strategic planning publishers use to make sure their marketing campaigns result in a great boost in sales with the variables that Amazon uses to rank a Sales number. I didn’t know Amazon’s ranking system is secretive, and many researches have been done to understand what variables are used to calculate Sale Rankings. Presumably, I thought total sales were the approach Amazon takes, but now, I’d understand why manufacturers and publishers have marketing campaigns focused towards Amazon’s top 1000 reviewers, and professional bloggers who often write about the pro’s and con’s of the products.

Writing out from expression and personal interest, what reviewers write affects the sales of the products greatly. A good feedback from a well-known blogger gives a second chance of life in the market. Nowadays, people in the community read reviews before buying anything. It is important to know what your product is ranked and how to target the product towards potential reviewers!