Facebook Giveaways

Have you notice that many giveaways hosting on Facebook condition entry upon “liking” a post, “checking in” to a place, or other Facebook features? Many organizations host this kind of giveaways to increase brand awareness by boosting up the number of likes to reach more consumers.In the summer, I shared a photo on Facebook to enter into a contest for a chance to win $30 gift certificate from a restaurant. I have also liked pictures to enter many giveaways. I believe that many of you probably also entered these kind of contests as it’s easy to enter and does no harm.

But, have you wondered if these kind of contests are LEGAL on Facebook?

If you read the guidelines for Facebook features,  these kind of automatic entry contests are illegal. Facebook prohibit users to administer promotions that condition entry or registration upon taking any action using any Facebook features other than liking a page, checking in to a place, or connecting to your app. It is also illegal to announce winners through Facebook such as wall posts or chat.

For those of you who is considering of administrating Facebook contests, it’s a good idea to check out the guideline. The consequence of not following the rules could be termination of the Facebook Page.

28. October 2012 by elainewong
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment