Ads Going Viral? Inevitable!

Brad Pitt is starred in Chanel No.5 commercial as the first male spokesperson. Surprisingly, audience find the commercial clueless and spawn with parodies.

In the commercial, Brad Pitt rambles “It’s not a journey. Every journey ends but we go on. The world turns and we turn with it. Plans disappear. Dreams take over. But wherever I go, there you are. My luck, my fate, my fortune. Inevitable.”

Going viral is probably what companies are aiming when they produce commercials. But after watching this commercial, I start wondering if going viral is always a good thing.  This ad has gone viral on YouTube with over four million views. For sure, more views means higher publicity.

This ad also has another implication: Anything offline will be brought online if it is gimmicky.

The Chanel No.5 commercial is originally offline advertising. Looking at its production, it does not seem to intend to make a joke hoping the commercial will go viral. It is directed by Joe Wright who is known for movies such as Pride and Prejudice. It is also starred by the famous celebrity Brad Pitt. In other words, the commercial is of very high production.

Nonetheless, aside from the disastrous theme and monologue, the ad itself has made its point.

The sales of Chanel No.5 might spur as a result of the commercial. Brad Pitt is a very good choice of spokesperson of this ad for his fame and background. More women might want the fragrance now as it is “Pitt’s choice”. Also, it might influence more guys to buy Chanel No.5 as a holiday gift for their important ones because Pitt and Angelina Jolie have a very happily ever after image.

But one thing that I am questioning is that whether the jokey commercial will translate the same message that it intended to. In conclusion, ads going viral is only good if it sends the correct message to audience.

13. November 2012 by elainewong
Categories: Uncategorized | Leave a comment