Chocolate: Mom-friendly, Elegant, and Sexy

As a chocoholic, I naturally caught myself thinking about how chocolate brands around us increase their appeal. Since the store aisles are filled with similar chocolate competitors, chocolate companies definitely need to show customers how their products bring them unique value. Taking a look at some of the chocolate brands around us, we can spot many traces of technique that companies use to keep themselves in customers’ minds.

For example, Kinder establishes its point of differentiation as a chocolate that is “made for kids” and “approved by moms.” Their ad campaigns illustrate Kinder Surprises as not mere chocolates, but chocolates packed with intellectually-stimulating toys (i.e. the puzzles inside the eggs) that are valuable to kids’ learning. They also emphasize that Kinder Surprises are tools with which parents can bond with their child through spending quality time on the puzzles together.

Other brands like Lindt and Ferrero Rocher aim for a more high-end feel. In particular, Ferrero Rocher uses packaging that seems to reflect elegance and class. Their ad campaigns pitch these chocolate balls as the golden chocolates “for golden moments,” playing on the fancy gift-worthy packaging and associating the Ferrero image with special occasions (e.g. Christmas parties, weddings).

The line of mint m&m’s, on another note, targets a more specific market of young teenagers. This m&m flavor features a liplicious green lady with luscious lashes, portraying the m&m’s image as sexy and cool.

As a consumer, a large part of my decision will boil down to what I am looking for in my chocolate at the time of purchase. Do I want something kid-friendly? Something with a touch of luxury to use as a small gift? Or maybe something a little sexy to treat myself to?

Or maybe all of the above, because hey, why not?

1 thought on “Chocolate: Mom-friendly, Elegant, and Sexy