$4 Milkshake, Anyone?

I stumbled across this article which got me thinking about why I, like so many others, have a special soft spot for Starbucks. Thinking about it now, when we hand over a ridiculous $4 for a cup of coffee, what we are buying is really not coffee, but a package of “the Starbucks Experience.” Starbucks has taken its brand and shaped it into an enticing token of luxury and sophistication, and traces of their branding technique can be found in practically every corner of the coffee shop.

For example, the article brought up the point that Starbucks stores have no rigid edges; everything is rounded, creating a welcoming atmosphere, and they use the tiniest round tables which have “no empty seats” so individuals feel comfortable going alone to sit down and have a study session without looking lonely. In addition, I’ve noticed that Starbucks has even developed their own language for coffee, using fancy vocab like “half-caf” and “grande valencia latte” to give a sense of high-class sophistication that adds to Starbucks’ atmosphere as a coffee society for the elite.

Another factor that keeps up Starbuck’s appeal is the perceived uniqueness. Take the Frappuccino for example. In essence, a Frappuccino is really just a milkshake (with a lot of cream on top). Why are we willing to pay $4 for a milkshake? What Starbucks has managed to do is take an ordinary beverage and put the “suave” spin on it, dressing it up with a fancy Italian name and getting us to perceive it as cooler and classier than a milkshake. Yes, you can get a milkshake anywhere, but you can only get a Frappuccino at Starbucks.
And yet, despite recognizing that so much of Starbucks largely comes from hype, I would still gladly take an afternoon to melt into one of those sofas and sip on my very own cup of luxury, warmth, and Sophistication.
Maybe I’ll gain some “grande valencia latte” sophistication along the way.