Hey Kids! Eat Your Oatmeal

I love my oatmeal.

As an avid oatmeal fan (yes, we do exist), I have come across Quaker multiple times while hitting the shops for this hearty hot cereal. As I scrounged the aisles at my local supermarket the other day, I was hooked when I found that Quaker produces “kids’ oatmeal” in addition to their classic versions. This new kids line boasts fun flavors such as Cookies n’ Creme, Chocolate Chip and even “Dino Eggs” (which I have yet to find out the intriguing details about).

However, as I inched closer to inspect the options, I was struck by how off the packaging was for the Chocolate Chip.

To my surprise, I found myself face-to-face with a dark box displaying a dreadfully black background, “KIDS’ INSTANT OATMEAL” in boring, official adult font, and just an overall unappealing look. The only visible attempt to spice up the box was a title in semi-bubbly letters. But even that was unable to salvage the overall “dead” look… as if the idea of oatmeal itself were not unappealing enough to kids already.

Where are the bright colors and fun chocolate chips (other than the puny ones sitting lifelessly around beside the bowl)? Where is the lively milk being splashed into the cereal? Where is the energy? As far as could be observed, the packaging of this product did not look the least bit exciting to an adult – never mind to a kid.

In order to pique the interest of the product’s target audience, Quaker should take steps to tailor their packaging more to kids. The two boxes below for Cookies n’ Creme, for example, are much more suited for kids.

Vibrant colors, funky fonts, lively cookie bits splashing around in milk, and unconventional positioning all combine to communicate a much more “fun” image. Kids will most definitely be more readily attracted to an oatmeal that doesn’t look drab and boring.

Packaging may not be everything there is to a product, but it sure plays a key role in influencing whether a product can sufficiently reach out to its target customer.