Unit Four: Self-Assessment

The initial expectations and purpose of enrolling for ENGL 301 was to be able to learn how to effectively and professionally communicate to potential job seekers. As I am nearing the end of my undergraduate journey, I feel like that is a crucial skill that I must learn in order to thrive in the professional world and that is what I hoped to seek by registering this course.

Through every assignments I created, I realized just how much I don’t know about writing professionally. I thought all these time regular writing and professional writing was the same, but there are actually more techniques to it than I thought. I found that I learn more through the peer review than actually creating my own assignments. As I’ve expressed in all of my reflections, peer review provided me with the most knowledge and takeaways throughout this semester. I learned from my Pencil Pack team how to properly execute each assignments properly, I learned how to improve my writing and I learned how to think critically. Because English is my second language, it can be hard to learn technical writing when you are still making grammatical errors. But through the help of my team, I feel like I have improved more on how I communicate my thoughts through my assignments.

To conclude, the lessons I learned in this course did indeed exceed my expectations. I am able to strengthen my professional writing, provide a proper resume, strengthen my LinkedIn presence and perhaps attract recruiters better because now I’m able to know the skills it takes to create an effective email and memorandum. Hopefully, with the skills I have now, I can navigate through the professional world much more smoothly.