Unit Four: Self-Assessment

The initial expectations and purpose of enrolling for ENGL 301 was to be able to learn how to effectively and professionally communicate to potential job seekers. As I am nearing the end of my undergraduate journey, I feel like that is a crucial skill that I must learn in order to thrive in the professional world and that is what I hoped to seek by registering this course.

Through every assignments I created, I realized just how much I don’t know about writing professionally. I thought all these time regular writing and professional writing was the same, but there are actually more techniques to it than I thought. I found that I learn more through the peer review than actually creating my own assignments. As I’ve expressed in all of my reflections, peer review provided me with the most knowledge and takeaways throughout this semester. I learned from my Pencil Pack team how to properly execute each assignments properly, I learned how to improve my writing and I learned how to think critically. Because English is my second language, it can be hard to learn technical writing when you are still making grammatical errors. But through the help of my team, I feel like I have improved more on how I communicate my thoughts through my assignments.

To conclude, the lessons I learned in this course did indeed exceed my expectations. I am able to strengthen my professional writing, provide a proper resume, strengthen my LinkedIn presence and perhaps attract recruiters better because now I’m able to know the skills it takes to create an effective email and memorandum. Hopefully, with the skills I have now, I can navigate through the professional world much more smoothly.

Unit Four: Creating Web Folio

One of the last assignments for ENGL 301 course is to create a Web Folio. Basically, a Web Folio is a website about yourself highlighting your academics and professional achievements catered to potential recruiters. In my Web Folio, other than home page, biography, blog consisting of unit reflections and a brief explanation about ENGL 301, I also inputted the assignments I did throughout the course, my resume, my LinkedIn profile and lastly, the application package I made for a real-life job I wanted.

I personally enjoyed creating and designing my Web Folio as it allows me to create a website that showcase my personality through it’s web designs, and of course, through it’s content. The biggest thing I really put into mind when creating this Web Folio is the potential audience. I want recruiters who might see my Web Folio to navigate through the pages easily. I want it to be straight-forward, concise and organized so that people wouldn’t get bored and/or frustrated when navigating through my Web Folio. I made sure all of my writings are professional and respectful for any audience that might want to look through it. Lastly, I wanted the design for my Web Folio to be simple and minimalistic. The template I chose need to showcase all the pages I had on top so that anyone who opens my page would immediately know what they want to know about me, or if they are looking for something specific about me, they would know where to find it right away.

Throughout this process and the consideration I put in creating this Web Folio, I realize just how crucial it is to view it from an outsider’s lens. I had my brother and a few of my friends look through my Web Folio and gave me feedback for the content as well as the website as a whole. At the end of the day, I learned that creating  Web Folio is just portraying who you are in the form of a website, and the more “you” you incorporate in your web, the more it provides viewer a clearer picture of the person behind this Web Folio.

Unit Three: Reflection Blog

For unit 3, our assignment was to create a formal report draft based on the formal research proposal we did on unit 2. Secondly, we had to do our peer review of our fellow team member’s formal report draft. On this peer review session, I peer reviewed Janice Pang’s formal report draft, as I previously did on her research proposal.

Whilst creating the formal report draft, I thought this assignment was rather challenging. It was time-consuming as we had to create a legitimate formal research report of an issue that we faced on one of our past professional experience. I wrote about my latest internship in L’Oreal Indonesia about improving the internship program. What I find was hard was firstly, gathering enough people to undergo the survey I sent out and analyzing what was the root cause of the problem. Thankfully, through my survey, I was able to find out a significant flaw in the internship experience. But putting that survey results into a formal report was much more challenging than I realized. But, I thought it was a very great learning experience, as it helped me to create professional reports if I were to be required to do so in the future.

For the peer review, I thought Janice’s report was great. I honestly had a hard time giving her feedback. Her proposal not only looked very professional, but her analysis was thorough and had great organization which allows me to understand very easily. From this peer review, I get to understand what my report lack and what I need to improve. I think there are a lot of insight for me, and for when I am making the final draft.

Copy of Formal Report Draft: ENGL 301 Formal Report Draft – Emily Krisnamurti

Unit Two: Reflection Blog

For unit two, our assignments focused on: creating and/or revising your own LinkedIn Profile, making a Formal Report Proposal, peer reviewing our teammate’s Formal Report Proposal, and finally, revising our Report Proposal based on our teammate’s peer review.

So firstly, I want to reflect on the LinkedIn assignment. We were asked to make and/or to revise our existing LinkedIn profile. This particular assignment was convenient for me because I already had a LinkedIn profile for few years now. I decided to make a LinkedIn profile few years ago, because I realized that it was important to establish myself in a professional social media, and to hopefully, kick-start my career. So, when I found out that one of our assignments was about LinkedIn, all I had to do was polish my LinkedIn, in a more professional way according to our research on how to create a great LinkedIn that could attract possible job seekers. It was interesting for me that I learned so much about LinkedIn, even when I already had LinkedIn for few years now. I realize just how important creating a well-thought out biography was about yourself, and every other detail that could showcase your potentials. Furthermore, when I was peer-reviewing my colleagues’ LinkedIn, I was more than happy to help her start her LinkedIn profile. I realized that, I was the only one out of my teammates that already had a LinkedIn profile, and so peer-reviewing one of my teammates’ LinkedIn profile was a way for me to share my knowledge with them. However, what I actually found even more surprising was that even when my teammates all were newbies on LinkedIn, they also taught me a lot about how I could improve my profile through the peer review, so I really thought this assignment was really helpful for me and fun at the same time.

For the Formal Report Proposal assignment, I must admit, this assignment is probably one of the most challenging assignment in this class, thus far. It required a lot of thinking and brainstorming to what I could possibly contribute for this writing assignment. The assignment required me to do a lot of critical thinking about my experiences in a professional setting, and how I could improve them. Truthfully, when I volunteer and/or intern, I never really considered or pin point things I would like to improve on. I always try my best to give my best effort and trust the process and established system that they have provided me. But this assignment really opened my eyes to the things I realized could change for the better. So, since I am currently interning in L’Oreal Indonesia, I thought that the easiest way to make the best out of this assignment, is to write something I am currently going through, and that is the internship program. I admit, at times, I do find myself thinking of ways to improve the internship program I am in. Although L’Oreal is a multinational company, and very well-prepared and very professional, there are some gaps in which I personally realize could be improved, and that is why I finally chose to write about improving the program as a whole.

In addition to creating a Formal Report Proposal, as usual, we also had to do a peer review to our teammates. I peer-reviewed Janice Pang’s proposal. I think for every peer review I do, the biggest takeaway was not to point out your teammates mistakes, but it is more to how you can improve by seeing someone else’s work. I realize whilst going through and evaluating her proposal, I found out the things I wanted to do differently in my proposal from the strengths that I see in her work. I found aspects of her work that I found was good and wanted to incorporate it in my work. The peer review from Janice Pang was also equally as beneficial, on top of reviewing her work, because sometimes, when you do your work, you don’t really realize your mistakes, and it takes another person’s perspective to evaluate and critique your work in order for you to see what you didn’t see.

So overall, I thought that unit two was really an adjusting period, where I learn from the assignments from unit one, and did it differently and hopefully did it better, and the assignments was a really good practice for me to be more aware of my writing and how I formulate assignments in the future.

Link to the Peer Review of my Formal Report Proposal: https://blogs.ubc.ca/engl301-99a-2019wa/2019/10/07/peer-review-improving-the-internship-program-at-loreal-indonesia/

Revised Formal Report Proposal: Revised Formal Report Proposal – Emily Krisnamurti

Unit Three: Reflection Blog

Unit Two: Reflection Blog

Unit One: Reflection Blog

For Unit 1:3, we were asked to write 3 definitions of a term that are widely used in our discipline, in my case, my discipline is Psychology. For the assignment, I chose the word Systematic Desensitization because I often come across that word when I’m learning about therapy and I felt like it was a great way to share to my peers one of the more prominent therapies that we, Psychology students seem to always come across in different Psychology classes. Whilst doing the definition, I created three different types of definition which are: parenthetical, sentence and expanded. From my personal experience, I found the expanded version harder than the rest, perhaps because we needed to combine 3 methods of expansion. The methods I chose are history, operating principle and visual. The first thing I thought about when I first read that we had a definition assignment was why? Why are we ask to do something so simple. But then I learned there was more to “definitions” than I thought. Definitions are not just as clear cut as explaining a term but it can also be represented in through their history, through visual or compare and contrast, and that was something new I learned when I was making the definition assignment.

After making the definition, we had to peer review the definition of our fellow team member. Through the peer review process, I get to see how my fellow team, Meagan defined her chosen term. Because her discipline was Dental, the term she chose was unfamiliar to me, and as I read her definitions, I not only understand what that is, but I get to understand how it works, I learned a brief history of what it was as well as how it looks like. It made me realize that, for me, the most effective definition was the expansion definition because it considers different way of explaining that term rather than just a one sentence definition. I also learned the improvements I could make in my definition assignment. The peer review from Meagan was really helpful, because sometimes you don’t really realize the mistakes you make in your own writing that others can spot.

The last step was the self-editing. As I mentioned before, the peer review from my peer was really helpful to improve my self-editing. Re-reading the textbook also made me realize what I must have missed and what I should improve. I learned that self-editing your writing after letting your writing sit for a few days helps you read it in a different lens. I feel that when you write something and you re-read it, it’s less likely you detect a mistake because you already have this mindset and memory of what you said and therefore you are less aware. But when you let your writing sit for a day or two and you come back to it, you read it as if you want to refresh your memory again of what you wrote, and in a way puts you in the position as an outsider reading it for the very first time and it was easier to detect mistakes. So overall, this assignment taught me types of definition, the importance of peer review in improving your writing as well as self-editing.

Email Message to Prospective Writing Team Member 3

To: m.rosenberg@alumni.ubc.c

From: emilyjasmine25@gmail.com

Date: September 15, 2019

Subject: ENG 301 Professional Writing Team Application

Attachment: 301_EmilyKrisnamurti_ApplicationLetter

Dear Meagan,

I am Emily from your ENG 301: Technical Writing Class and after reviewing your letter of application, I believe that our experiences combined would result in a great professional writing team.
I am very impressed in your passion for public health, specifically in the field of dental healthcare. I am glad to see that someone is there to help those who needs dental care, because although it’s often an overlook part of health, it is still very crucial and very impactful to us. With that kind of passion, I think it would be great to have you as a teammate, and hopefully with my experiences, we could compliment each other and achieve the best outcome from this class.
Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you. I have attached my Letter of Application to this email for your convenience.
Sincerely,
Emily.png
Emily Krisnamurti

Email Message to Prospective Writing Team Members 2

To: janice.pang@alumni.ubc.ca

From: emilyjasmine25@gmail.com

Date: September 15, 2019

Dear Janice,

I am Emily from your ENG 301: Technical Writing class and I just reviewed your application for the Professional Writing Team, and I think that we would work well together based on the combination of our experiences.
I see that you have extensive knowledge in technical writing as well as other literature-based subjects, and I think I am able to learn a lot from you if we were to join forces and become a team. Your achievements in oral communication also impressed me and a great skill to have for this class. I think that if you consider me as your team, I am able to compliment your skills with the experiences I have in my internship as a Human Resources intern and give you insight about how to use your extensive experiences in language in a corporate environment.
Sincerely,
Emily Krisnamurti

Email Message to Prospective Writing Team Member 1

To: jobina.tamminga@gmail.com

From: emilyjasmine25@gmail.com

Date: September 15, 2019

Dear Jobina,

I am Emily, from your ENG 301: Technical Writing class and after reviewing your application letter, I believe that we could work great together in achieving our goals for this class.
With your background in Biology and Computer Science, I believe you are a great teammate to have because you are able to give us a different perspective in technical writing with the lens of a more science-based language or approach. And with my background with arts, we are able to compliment each other in that sense. Furthermore, I think if you considered me in joining me to form a professional writing team, we would get the best out of this class, just as how you want to as stated in your working philosophy.
Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing from you. I attached my Letter of Application to this email for your perusal.
Sincerely,
Emily Krisnamurti