Assignment 3:1 – Email Memorandum Demonstrating You-Attitude

MEMORANDUM

To: Evan Crisp
From: Dakota Tryhuba, English 301 student
Date: 03 March 2019
Subject: Effective Email Communication Using You-Attitude

Introduction:

After reviewing your email correspondence with your instructor, Professor Lambert, I have noted some concerns regarding your initial email message. As such, I have outlined some principles for you that will result in a more effective communication.

Tips on effective email communication:

The following are some suggestions on effective email communication for use in academic and/or professional communication settings.

• Properly address the reader by name, i.e. Dear Professor Lambert.
    • Avoid starting your memos and letters with “I” or “We.” When one begins correspondence with “I,” from the very first word they are telling your readers who the most important persons in the correspondence are, and it isn’t them.
    • Eliminating typos and spelling mistakes that label us as sloppy and careless.
    • Express appreciation for your reader. The goal of formal communication is to get our readers to do what we want them to do, so then we have to them believe that they are valued and appreciated.
    • Ending the message with an appropriate signature consisting of a full name (not initials) and contact information.

Conclusion:

By following these tips, this can help to avoid sounding condescending and/or insulting in email correspondence. Instead of telling the reader what to do, this way explains why you would like placement in their course that is full. If you have any questions or concerns about any of my suggestions, please do not hesitate to reach me via email at dakota.tryhuba@alumnia.ubc.ca.