3.1 Business Letters

Letter of Complaint

822 Seymour Street

Vancouver, BC, V6B 1L9

March 10th, 2019

Shiraz Mahmoudi

1268 Bute Street

Vancouver, BC, V4L 1T7

Subject: Rent Increase

Dear Mr. Mahmoudi,

I am writing you in regard to the rent increase for my unit at the Capitol One building. Given the current nature of the renter’s market, and my loyalty as a tenant, I would like to request that you do not increase the rent and maintain the lease at $2000 monthly.

I understand that it is common for rent to increase after a one year lease is up, but after looking at similar accommodations in this area, I believe the current price I am paying is reasonable, if not more than market value. In addition to that, I have never had a late payment for my rent and have caused no complaints with the neighbours. I have been a loyal and courteous tenant and continue to take care of this unit.

It would be greatly appreciated if you could reconsider raising the rent to $2100 per month given the current circumstances. Please let me know if you are interested in doing a lease renewal for the current price.

Warm regards,

Mahsa Ehtemam

Response Letter

1268 Bute Street

Vancouver, BC, V4L 1T7

March 10th, 2019

Mahsa Ehtemam

822 Seymour Street

Vancouver, BC, V6B 1L9

RE: Rent Increase

Dear Ms. Ehtemam,

I appreciate you providing me with a letter regarding your concern. As you mentioned, rent is increased upon completion of the one year lease for each of my rental properties. This has been the standard I have used for over 5 years.

Unfortunately, I am unable to maintain your rent for $2000 per month for another year of lease. Given the increasing popularity of living in downtown, a unit similar to the one at 822 Seymour can easily be rented out for over $2200. I appreciate that you have been an ideal tenant, and have never encountered a problem during your tenancy in my property. For this reason I am able to offer you an exclusive rate of $2050 per month.

I hope that is a reasonable offer and I look forward to renewing the lease with you at 822 Seymour Street. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Yours truly,

Shiraz Mahmoudi

Vancouver Enterprise Units