LinkedIn Peer Review

Memorandum

From: Lia Slager

To: Taylor Smith

CC: Erica Patterson

Date: March 10, 2019

Subject: LinkedIn Peer Review

Good afternoon Taylor,

Thank you for accepting my invitation to connect on LinkedIn. I have reviewed your profile according to a self-designed peer-review template as per the assignment instructions. I am hoping that you will find the feedback provided below both affirmative, yet at the same time, constructive. For context, I have attached my self designed template at the bottom of this review.

First Impressions 

First impressions are important—whether they occur over the phone, online, or in person.  My first impression of your LinkedIn profile was that it was clean cut and straight forward. You have well utilized all the necessary sections to communicate both who you are as a person and what you are looking for in the next steps of your career. Both things that potential recruiters actively seek when they look for job candidates –good job!

Profile Picture

I have assessed your profile picture according to LinkedIn’s Talent blog post 5 Tips for Picking the Right LinkedIn Profile Picture. According to LinkedIn’s research having a picture makes your profile 14 times more likely to be viewed by others. Firstly, LinkedIn suggests having a profile picture that looks like you. Unfortunately as we have been solely conversing online I can not provide testament to this, however, judging based on your Facebook pictures, I have reason to believe you did not overly ‘face-tune’ your picture ;-). Secondly, LinkedIn recommends that your face take up around 60% of the frame (defined as cropping the picture from the top of your shoulders to just above your head), which perfectly defines the aspect and layout ratio of your profile photo. In addition, to adhere to LinkedIn’s tips it appears you have chosen an appropriate facial expression (considering you are in a management or leadership position), as well as chosen an appropriate, non-distracting, backdrop. While I personally don’t see this as deterring from your profile, the one tip LinkedIn suggests that your profile picture doesn’t currently adhere to is wearing something you’d wear to your job. On an overall basis I believe that your profile picture is well chosen and sets you up for success.

Headline and Summary

Your headline and summary give an appropriate overview of your past accomplishments, current employment, and future goals. In my personal professional opinion,  you have used the headline and summary section to its full potential. Good work, and well done!

Experiences and Education

While you have outlined your current job description in detail, I did notice that your work experience is limited to the past 3 years as a Kitchen Manager at Milestones. As I work within the restaurant industry as well, I have a good understanding that an individual in a managerial position as yourself has some previous history working in a kitchen or working-up within the company. In my experience, showing your past work experience history has the potential to give you a sense of credibility, loyalty, and due diligence. I personally have lost job opportunities by not showing an in-depth promotional history. I believe you could greatly strengthen your profile by giving a little more past work and education experience (perhaps adding your previous construction experience or if you have your Red Seal etc…).

Connections

I understand that this LinkedIn profile was purely made for the purpose of this assignment, and therefore I don’t expect that you would have many connections. However, for the purpose of this peer review, I believe your profile could be strengthened by more connections. There are a number of different websites suggesting how many connections is considered the ‘magic number’. One suggests 50, another anything over 30, and another one claims 250 is the optimal amount of connections. While the many ‘career bloggers’ may not be able to agree on a single optimal number of connections, they all agree that having more connections portrays a ‘tech savvy individual’, who knows how use media marketing. In addition having more connections gives you additional second and third degree connections, which gives you an advantage when applying for jobs. However, be careful to add people you know as too many rejections on ‘invitations to connect’ can get your account suspended.

Overview

On an overall basis, your LinkedIn profile is clean, concise and clear. I have even taken some pointers myself, on areas I could improve on my own. It is evident that you cater to a professional audience and are transparent in your future goals –all things that recruiters and hiring managers look for. Make sure to insert key terms where ever possible, which recruiters and hiring managers may type into a Google or LinkedIn search engine. Good Job! and happy job hunting.

Regards,

Lia

https://www.linkedin.com/in/taylorasmith86/

LinkedIn Peer Review Template LinkedIn Peer Review Template